What's new

Surface Pen Doesn't Open Windows Ink

iliketoys

I searched a bit and didn't see this topic covered but wanted to see if anyone has seen a fix. After the Anniversary Update, my Surface Pen works as usual but the eraser button doesn't consistently call up the Ink menu or One Note.

I've tried uninstalling the pen drivers and forgetting and reconnecting bluetooth which sometimes works until the SP4 sleeps and turns back on. Anyone else having this issue still?

Zkyevolved

I searched a bit and didn't see this topic covered but wanted to see if anyone has seen a fix. After the Anniversary Update, my Surface Pen works as usual but the eraser button doesn't consistently call up the Ink menu or One Note.

I've tried uninstalling the pen drivers and forgetting and reconnecting bluetooth which sometimes works until the SP4 sleeps and turns back on. Anyone else having this issue still?
Have you checked the surface app from the windows store? That's how I configured mine back when the AU was released.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

OP
iliketoys

iliketoys

I do have the Surface app installed and have set the Pen eraser presses for Ink on 1 click, and One Note on 2 clicks. Neither combos work to bring up either app. Otherwise, the pen works as it should (writes, erases, secondary clicks).

OP
iliketoys

iliketoys

Yeah, the pen works in every other way just fine. Just not the eraser clicks to launch apps. I've tried removing and re pairing it which works until the computer goes to sleep.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, the pen works in every other way just fine. Just not the eraser clicks to launch apps. I've tried removing and re pairing it which works until the computer goes to sleep.
The Pen is technically 2 separate devices, the "Pen" is an n-trig digitizer pen with the powered electronics built into it to close the circuit when the tip touches the screen, the Launcher Button is a Bluetooth HID that causes software events.

Sounds like the part of the Surface Pen is defective either in the Hardware or the HID Drivers have become corrupt.