What's new

Surface Pen in Word 2016

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
On the draw tab chose the button "Select Objects" and the pen should work as a mouse.

dld

I tried the above solution and it did not work. My pen worked just fine until today. Now when I try to edit, it writes on my document. I cannot use it to select anything. This makes my Surface Pro 3 practically unusable. To finish my document I am going have to use my old Sony Vaio. I have also tried re-pairing it and new batteries. PLEASE FIX THIS ASAP.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I tried the above solution and it did not work. My pen worked just fine until today. Now when I try to edit, it writes on my document. I cannot use it to select anything. This makes my Surface Pro 3 practically unusable. To finish my document I am going have to use my old Sony Vaio. I have also tried re-pairing it and new batteries. PLEASE FIX THIS ASAP.
This is not an official Microsoft Forum...there is an insider's forum at answers.microsoft.com

Now, granted if the select isn't working it should be bugged through the feedback app...but we can't fix it :)

OP
P

problempage

There's an app in W10 called Windows Feedback. I used that to report this bug although probably a complete waste of time...

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I'm installing the insider build now and I will see what I can find out....

Update - Yes, it is a bug in this build, you would need to revert to an earlier build. The January Build is the last one prior to this change. I honestly like it though as I've been an advocate for the pen to ink as expected and you touch.

OP
P

problempage

Thanks. Just need to be able to turn off inking via the 'Select Object' button. Perhaps that's what it is supposed to do bugless! Think I will sit tight in hope they fix it. One day...

edalsie

I just caught up with this thread... the 'Select Object' button in Powerpoint will not change from inking to selecting objects. I use WordPerfect more than Word, and have no problems there, so I'm assuming it is purely a MS issue -- a very annoying issue.