What's new

Solved Surface Pen paired and Top Button working but no writing

Revan

Hello,
i have a Surface Pro 3, Windows 10 v.1903, fully patched.
Two Surface Pens, one grey with a purple top button, one red with red top button.

Both of them are paired and the top buttons are working. Problem is, the tip of both pens stopped working.
Should very unlikely that two pens going defective at the same time, so i am looking for help with the troubleshooting.
Searching Aunt Google leads to pairing and battery problems but barely nothing which helps me with troubleshooting the pen tip.

Any advice on how i can get my pens back to working?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for joining up, @Revan

Let's try to get you fixed up.

The pen is really two devices, completely independent of one another. One is a Bluetooth button (which works fine for you) and the other is actually a "digitizer" grid on your screen which detects the pen tip.

Using the Cortana search button, type "device manager" and follow prompts to start the Device Manager. On the list under "Human Interface Devices" you should see an item named "Surface … DititizerIntegration Device". If you see this item, right-click on it and uninstall the device. If you do not find this device, check if there is an "Unknown Device" listed in the "Other devices" section. If you find it, use the right mouse button to uninstall it. After that, find the "Action" menu at the top of the device manager window and click on "Scan for hardware changes". Then reboot.

Let us know ...

OP
R

Revan

Hi @sharpuser and thanks for your help.

Screenshot from Device Manager:

I removed all the Surface Pen devices and rebooted. The Devices were been installed fine but still no pen tip

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Okay try this: Disable then re-enable the Touchscreen Human Interface Device in Device Manager.

OP
R

Revan

Tried that and also removed all of the HID Devices, then restart. Pen Tip unfortunately still not working

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
The problem was that “new” batteries turned out to be weak. Different batteries worked.

Wept

Hi, I have read through this thread and I have tried all of the suggestions here.
My sibling and I both have Surface Pro 6's, and for about 2 weeks. I put a new nib, a new battery and it still didn't work for my pen. I have tried my siblings pen, and the pen she has still works if I use the exact new nib, the new battery. I believe it is a problem with my pen, does anyone have any ideas?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have the pen with two side buttons and a clip? If so, it has two different batteries, one for the nib, and one for the button.