What's new

Surface Pen stopped working (responding to touch)

SeanP

I am a Windows insider and use all the fast builds. Yesterday I received a big one and updated to it. It's Creators Edition 1703 and Build is 16288.1

Pen stopped working fully. Pressing the cap brings up my Windows Ink Workspace fine. Double clicking screen shots work and holding it brings up OneNote. All of that works.

What does not work is actually using the pen to write or highlight. Zero response at all. I rebooted machine..no dice. I removed pen and re-synced to machine. No dice.

Anyone else have this happen to them?

Thanks

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, this happened to me, too, but on one build PREVIOUS to 16288.1

Then, 16288.1 fixed the problem on both my Surface Book computers.

Head-scratcher.

Orlbuckeye

I had that happen. Go into the device manager and look at the driver. Mine had a message the driver was corrupt. I removed it there and selected search for new hardware and it found the pen and installed the new driver and it worked and haven't had an issue since.

OP
S

SeanP

I had that happen. Go into the device manager and look at the driver. Mine had a message the driver was corrupt. I removed it there and selected search for new hardware and it found the pen and installed the new driver and it worked and haven't had an issue since.

Which driver am I looking for? I looked at display drivers and they were fine but cannot find correct one.

On another note, I restarted my machine and the pen worked. But when the machine went to sleep, the same thing happened again