What's new

Surface Pen tip doesn’t work but I can move the cursor with the top button

SergeiPozdeev

I got the latest surface pen from my friend (4 or 5 I'm not sure, the one without the clip) and Surface pro 7 i5. Its tip doesn't work. I can move the cursor with the top eraser button, and when paired and connected, the button works well. Things I tried:

- unpair and pair back,

- change the Pen's battery,

- reboot the pen (sounds silly to me but somebody said that on some forum to hold the top button for 10 seconds reboots it),

- reboot the tablet,

- run the Surface diagnostic toolkit,

- in device manager, disable pen, disable surface touch pen processor, disable intel precise touch device,

- update windows and surface pen drivers,

- cry.

The eraser by the way is very jiggly rn, I hope it's gonna be better once the tip is working again?

Last edited:

sharpuser

Super Moderator
Staff member
Check this thread. You may have the same problem.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I quick check to see if it's the pen or the nib is to pull the nib out (and if you have a replacement) put the new one in. Also, just removing the nib and putting back in sometimes fixes these issues.

If that doesn't work, I would get a new pen.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I quick check to see if it's the pen or the nib is to pull the nib out (and if you have a replacement) put the new one in. Also, just removing the nib and putting back in sometimes fixes these issues.

I've had the issue a number of times on my earlier (SP4) model pen, and it has always been fixed through removing the pen tip. Although some times it required me to put in a different pen tip for a short while.

Turbo4AWD

This, the nib usually causes issues with my Surface Pen not working. After a couple tries of removing/reinserting, the pen starts working again.

jmcleod

You said changed the pen's "battery"
I have an older surface 4 pro, but there are 2 different kinds of batteries. One controls the eraser button on top, the other controls the writing.

If your pen is like mine, that second battery is size AAAA

I had the exact same problem. Press the eraser button and surface was responsive, but try to write and won't write. Two different power sources.
Apologies if Microsoft no longer uses 2 different battery sources, again, I only have a Surface Pro 4

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
You said changed the pen's "battery"
I have an older surface 4 pro, but there are 2 different kinds of batteries. One controls the eraser button on top, the other controls the writing.

If your pen is like mine, that second battery is size AAAA

I had the exact same problem. Press the eraser button and surface was responsive, but try to write and won't write. Two different power sources.
Apologies if Microsoft no longer uses 2 different battery sources, again, I only have a Surface Pro 4
My SP4 pen only has one battery. Then pen which used cell batteries for the bluetooth and eraser button was the one from the SP3.

Search tags for this page

me-mpp413 pen tip not writing

surface pen with no clip tip not working

surface pro not responding to pen

surface pro pen doesnt work

Members online

No members online now.