What's new

Surface Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyLastGamble

Hey everyone. I have a surface pro 3 with the i5, 128 GB. I've been using it a lot lately to practice for my Microsoft Certifications, I'm currently taking the sql server certs, and to practice I am going to need 6 virtual machines running Windows Server 2008 r2 and sql server 2012. I've been looking into building a better PC to handle this load, however I was curious if anyone has their surface under this type of load? I can match specs with specs however nothing beats word of mouth, actual use advice. Thanks in advance!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not a chance.
4 GB RAM, 7 OSs (6 server VMs) plus the base OS give 500 MB each.
128 GB Disk gives maybe 16GB each.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Another option that is available is using Azure for your VMs or even a service like IT Pro TV (www.itpro.tv ) which has a Sandbox Environment with labs for each class (Approx $600/yr).

polbit

Why not just get HP Spectre x360 and be happy :) I finally gave up on the SP3, loving the x360.

My SP2 is still with me though, and surprisingly hard to give up.

Last edited:

fletch33

Why not just get HP Spectre x360 and be happy :) I finally gave up on the SP3, loving the x360.

My SP2 is still with me though, and surprisingly hard to give up.

how would a laptop with a slight processor bump that actually has no performance advantage and meaningless to his use bump in graphics with the same RAM and HDD help his situation?

or better yet while are you trolling a SP3 forum when there is certainly a forum for your device?

polbit

how would a laptop with a slight processor bump that actually has no performance advantage and meaningless to his use bump in graphics with the same RAM and HDD help his situation?

or better yet while are you trolling a SP3 forum when there is certainly a forum for your device?

Ugh, maybe because x360 and SP3 are very much competing products, with Microsoft heavily involved with both, and both are hybrid devices? And SP3 throttles very badly, which is what made me return it and get x360, and x360 is MUCH better at sustained loads?? You know, the performance thing? The SUBJECT of the topic?

Sorry if I offended your SP3 love. The only troll here is you, bud.

Status
Not open for further replies.