What's new

Surface Phone Concept Device

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ref: Behance

If you haven't seen it before... have a look.
selected images...
6f5cbd650feac296690cff9d1a063592.png

aa398f9588fffdf3f0362c6e2e4879e0.png

cff6d6310fb0d53ff3d3ceb914819484.png

9a4ed4c148f992e9248811b2fdfd8435.png

However we need to fill out the specs and additional functionality.

This device should have the power of the Surface 3 (Atom X7, or at least X5)
4GB RAM
64/128 GB storage
Support 1 external display wired or wireless up to 2k@30.

Fingerprint sensor
Front and back cameras 3.5mp/8mp or better.

Keyboard connection, same as Surface ie supports attaching full Surface TypeCover keyboard possibly via an adapter. Obviously supports Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse of your choice.

This is not intended to be your only machine but gives you the capability in a pinch to do everything an Office PC can do especially when connected to external monitor, keyboard/trackpad or mouse. You'll want the additional power pack/heatsink/cooling block. can use external storage, printers, displays, USB etc ... no compromises because its the real deal full OS.

Don't just dream it, bring it.

Last edited:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just to fuel debate. What screen size would you want on a phone of this capability?

Personally i'd much prefer something slightly slower and sub 5" than an ungainly phablet. Cannot stand all these 5.7" etc phones. I just want to see a sub 5" phone with an active digitizer that isn't something crappy and Samsung.

kundas1

Just to fuel debate. What screen size would you want on a phone of this capability?

Personally i'd much prefer something slightly slower and sub 5" than an ungainly phablet. Cannot stand all these 5.7" etc phones. I just want to see a sub 5" phone with an active digitizer that isn't something crappy and Samsung.

PFFFTTT save it for yourself! I would luv this to be 6" like my L1520 and be like my SP3 I would buy this in a heart beat! ya hear me MS a heart beat!!!

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
PFFFTTT save it for yourself! I would luv this to be 6" like my L1520 and be like my SP3 I would buy this in a heart beat! ya hear me MS a heart beat!!!

Ha. Indeed. Everyone has their preference. I find my M7 big enough as it is, and unfortunately for me, it seems that bigger is becoming the focus of manufacturers. I hope the rumours of the upcoming Microsoft phones are wrong and both feature pen support, not just the XL.

CrippsCorner

You're not alone @hughlle :) my personal preference for a smartphone is 4.5-5" I think my girlfriends Z3 Compact is just perfect! Unfortunately I'm not a fan of Android so will be sticking to my slightly bigger iPhone 6.

I would be tempted into a Surface Phone... perhaps, but got a feeling they'd always be too big for me!

kundas1

so why not get the lumia 535 or 635 or a plethora of other lumia phones with 4"- 5" screens?

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well I whish I knew where the market sweet spot was... if you copy the most successful id say 4.7 and 5.7 the average of the most popular seems to be 5.3. but does making anything average ever work?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
so why not get the lumia 535 or 635 or a plethora of other lumia phones with 4"- 5" screens?

Because the focus is on the big phones, and all of the smaller ones are as such lacking many features or have lower specs to continue to promote the larger phones as the one to buy, the flagship. It would be nice to see a "mini" phone that didn't have a sub-par camera compared to it's flagship sibling, or cheaper build materials etc. I know that they can't go and put say an 810 in a 4.5" phone, but it would be nice to see a manufacturer still attempt to put flagship specs into a smaller phone. I'm not yet in the market for a new phone, but last I recall the Samsung S5 had a 16mp shooter, the mini had 8, HTC had a lovely metal unibody for the one, and the one mini had some cheap and nasty plastic/metal combo.

Sure everyone mocked apple for the small screens, but at least they were able to put high end specs in a phone without it "having" to be 5" or more.

kundas1

sorry but that not true, the lumia 830 + the 920 and the Lumia icon all have 4.7- 5" screens and have amazing camera and specs... your just gonna pay more is all... you can't have it all (cheap and high end) also I'm getting the BLU HD LTE for $170 and it has a lot of good specs and ok camera (8MP) but I'm not a photography person so I don't care about the camera, its all relative that's all

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
sorry but that not true, the lumia 830 + the 920 and the Lumia icon all have 4.7- 5" screens and have amazing camera and specs... your just gonna pay more is all... you can't have it all (cheap and high end) also I'm getting the BLU HD LTE for $170 and it has a lot of good specs and ok camera (8MP) but I'm not a photography person so I don't care about the camera, its all relative that's all

In that case I apologise, as I said, i'm not yet ready for a new phone, and it's been 2 years since I last looked at the market seriously. With regard to windows phone i'm holding out to see what Microsoft come out with in regard to a "built for windows 10" phone is like. such as hello features, or pen support etc. Windows phone has become a very appealing idea since getting my SP3 :) However, I have to say that to me, those Lumias are uglier than sin :(

And I have no problem at all paying top tier prices if it is a good phone :) I get a phone once every 2-3 years so I make sure to get the best I can, but these days on the whole that means big. after size, it is mostly camera and build quality for me on a phone. I looked at my average usage the other day and over the past 3 months I sent 120 texts and 59 minutes of calls. i'm not your average user :)

kundas1

then the Lumia 1020 would be an excellent choice for you, 41MP camera and 4.5 inch screen 32GB internal storage and a slew of other great features... and they're cheap nowadays! you can buy a ysed one in great shape for good prices... I highly recommend it for you too see how great win phones are! I just lUVLUV my lumia 1520... if only my LTE would get better reception I would never change it!