What's new

Surface Pro 128 Recover Partition

clownzer

Well as it would happen I backed up my partition to a USB drive, stuck in a drawer only to find out the my amazing wife formatted it to use it for work. My mistake for not letting her know what was on it. So is there a way or a place I can download this recovery partition?

Thanks!

OP
C

clownzer

I would call Surface Support. They may have a link for you if you can provide them serial numbers. Have you registered your device? https://myservice.surface.com/en-US/Pages/Welcome.aspx

Thank you for the suggestion. I got in touch with probably the best support rep I have ever talked to. Currently they do not offer a download for the recovery partition, so an exchange was setup for the device. I thankfully was promised (in writing) that the device I would receive in exchange would be brand new. Bummer I will be without a device for an entire week though.

Arizona Willie

Can we not make a copy of the recovery partition and leave it on the Surface?

Does the copy HAVE to go on a USB Flash Drive? Can it not be copied via the USB or wireless connection to a standard hard drive on a desktop computer?

bertopl

I've copied my recovery partition but luckily never had to restore yet. I would imagine as long as it is copied to some sort of bootable USB media it would work. like I said, I'm not sure since I haven't had to restore yet.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Can we not make a copy of the recovery partition and leave it on the Surface?

Does the copy HAVE to go on a USB Flash Drive? Can it not be copied via the USB or wireless connection to a standard hard drive on a desktop computer?

Yes, you can make a copy to a usb stick for a backup and still leave the recovery on the Surface giving you two backup options.

bryanhayn

What if I copy the recovery to a USB stick then copy the files from the USB stick to an external hard drive, will I be able to copy the files from the hard drive to a different/formatted USB stick and use it for recovery? I ask because I'm not sure if the Surface adds to the recovery USB stick hidden files or makes the USB stick bootable or something special like that.

J515OP

Super Moderator
You can do that. The usb stick does need to be bootable but you an make it that way regardless of the recovery image. In other words you can put that image on a second drive and create a bootable recovery as needed including sd card.

J515OP

Super Moderator

Exactly.

Unless you know what you are doing I don't recommend this though. For somebody that has a lot of questions about this process it can be risky. Asking questions and learning is good but make sure you are ready to do this and completely understand it before removing the recovery partition from your Surface. Once recovery is off of the Surface you could essentially end up with non-functioning device if you lose the USB, delete the image, it becomes corrupted or can't figure out how to boot from it. You will have to find a new image and be able to restore from it before you can get going again.

Of course this is all to say user be ware and do this at your own peril ;)