What's new

Surface Pro 2, All Images Being Dithered?

OP
E

eelpout

I've had the same issue. Try uninstalling the Intel driver and reinstalling the latest version. There seem to be 2 identical versions of the 10/31/2013 10.18.10.3345 driver one causes the dithering. Try re-downloading the latest from the thread on this forum and choosing to use the new driver (not keep existing when prompted)

OK, I'll try again.

FYI, there's a thread on the MS Answers forum that talks about the same color banding issue and about trying the latest Intel driver for the fix. While it's worked for others, it hasn't for me.

Severe banding and dark greys display as black - Microsoft Community

OP
E

eelpout

There do seem to be two drivers and I've tried both with no success. Today I'll do "refresh" and see what happens.

I did use Laplink's PCMover to move my stuff over from another tablet (a Samsung) when I first got the Surface. I guess it's possible something got messed up with that, but I've had no problems using it in the past.

Question, should "Safe Mode" look banded if using the Basic Driver? It does say it is 32-bit. I get the color banding there too.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
What does it look like at the Advanced Boot Screen? If it is dithered there it is most likely hardware.

It's definitely due to a confusion of drivers, try uninstalling (delete drivers when prompted) from device manager and install the new Intel ones (using zip file then exe) remember to change autoupdate settings in windows update to prompt you or the system will automatically reapply MS drivers which will give you banding again.

Last edited by a moderator:

cali

Let's remember to be polite with each other and don't engage in back and forth disparaging or baiting comments.

OP
E

eelpout

It's definitely due to a confusion of drivers, try uninstalling (delete drivers when prompted) from device manager and install the new Intel ones (using zip file then exe) remember to change autoupdate settings in windows update to prompt you or the system will automatically reapply MS drivers which will give you banding again.

Well, I've tried this a number of times now, both installing the driver from the Device Manager and letting the Intel installer do it and it just doesn't seem to want to take. The 3345 Intel driver is indeed running, but the banding/dithering remains. And this was after a "refresh." My last attempt will be to take it to factory settings and if after adding the Intel driver it still doesn't get rid of the banding, I'll take it back.

FYI, for those who aren't seeing this, here is an example of what my desktop looks like:

(edited photo. realized the last one I uploaded, which was a screengrab, would of course look fine on any other PC. ;) )

please ignore the moire, this is a phone shot

View attachment 1470

Attachments

• small desktop.jpg
    small desktop.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 604
Last edited:

sweeptheleg

Just as a test for everyone check out the image on this page

Surface pro screen test banding - carldavis

it should look like a nice smooth gradient but for some reason on the surface screen it gets crunched to something very poor. This is not ok msoft!!!!!!! If I hook up an external monitor it works fine but the surface screen is not for professional use at this point :/

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Ok...just checking. After doing the reset, check to see if looks ok with the Surface Driver vs. the Intel Generic Driver.

OP
E

eelpout

Just as a test for everyone check out the image on this page

Surface pro screen test banding - carldavis

it should look like a nice smooth gradient but for some reason on the surface screen it gets crunched to something very poor.
Something like this? You can see how the red velvet is crushed on mine.

You should try the new Intel driver and see if it works for you.

I'm beginning to think mine though might actually have a hardware problem.

Attachments

• small xmas 2.jpg
    small xmas 2.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 564
Last edited:

Nitemare

Installing the driver from Intel's site fixed banding/color issues for me... referencing the link on the middle of the second page, I followed those instructions.