What's new

Surface Pro 2 and Chrome

dreamliner

Greetings all,

First time posting. I am considering purchasing the Surface Pro 2 (if I can ever find one) and have a question, hopefully someone can answer.

My eyesight is beginning to get a little worse so I like to go to "personalize" and "display" and type in about 140%. This makes all icons, webpages, fonts, buttons, etc. bigger and easier to see.

I just purchased the Yoga Pro 2, and when I made the display bigger in the above way, all my Chrome extensions were unusable. What I mean is that every extension simply blanked out, unable to display.

When I went back to normal display dpi I could use the extensions normally, but they were teency tiny, as was the URL bar, fonts, buttons, etc. Additionally, I had already selected "Enable" in Chrome in the "High Res DPI" option.

So I was left with either nice large readable buttons, fonts, icons, etc. but no extensions, or teency tiny (unreadable) URL bar, fonts, buttons, etc. with normal extensions. So, I returned the Yoga Pro 2.

Now I'm considering Surface Pro 2 but wondering if I will have the same issues. Can anyone tell me if they also make the display dpi larger and if Chrome and extensions work normally?

Thank you for any help in advance.

Last edited:

D1vad

tell you what, I'm not a chrome user, but tell me what extension you'd like to see and i'll get you a screen shot...

OP
D

dreamliner

tell you what, I'm not a chrome user, but tell me what extension you'd like to see and i'll get you a screen shot...

Wow, that is very kind of you, thank you. I use the following extensions: Google Voice, Last Pass, Push to Kindle, Neat Bookmarks, Hola Better Internet, and Yahoo Mail checker. Any of the above would be helpful.

If you don't mind, please tell me also what DPI you are using, if you made the changes as I outlined in my first post.

Thanks much!

D1vad

Greetings all,

First time posting. I am considering purchasing the Surface Pro 2 (if I can ever find one) and have a question, hopefully someone can answer.

My eyesight is beginning to get a little worse so I like to go to "personalize" and "display" and type in about 140%. This makes all icons, webpages, fonts, buttons, etc. bigger and easier to see.

I just purchased the Yoga Pro 2, and when I made the display bigger in the above way, all my Chrome extensions were unusable. What I mean is that every extension simply blanked out, unable to display.

When I went back to normal display dpi I could use the extensions normally, but they were teency tiny, as was the URL bar, fonts, buttons, etc. Additionally, I had already selected "Enable" in Chrome in the "High Res DPI" option.

So I was left with either nice large readable buttons, fonts, icons, etc. but no extensions, or teency tiny (unreadable) URL bar, fonts, buttons, etc. with normal extensions. So, I returned the Yoga Pro 2.

Now I'm considering Surface Pro 2 but wondering if I will have the same issues. Can anyone tell me if they also make the display dpi larger and if Chrome and extensions work normally?

Thank you for any help in advance.

Okay first some differences, (I'm running Windows 8.1 on a Surface Pro 2 running Intel graphics driver...

Screenshot (14).png

I've got my screen set for maximum size with out going to a lower resolution.

That is what my Desktop looks like. I loaded Chrome tonight, and was offered an extension launcher for my tray. That white box right after Chrome.

Screenshot (12).png

I believe you wont have an issue with that?

Last edited:
OP
D

dreamliner

Can you change the "Custom sizing options" to at least 140% or 150%? I don't need the "Change the size of all items" to be "Larger" as Chrome still worked fine for me when I did that. I need to change it to "custom" and select at least 140% and then see if Chrome and its extensions work.

Okay first some differences, (I'm running Windows 8.1 on a Surface Pro 2 running Intel graphics driver...

View attachment 1346

I've got my screen set for maximum size with out going to a lower resolution.

That is what my Desktop looks like. I loaded Chrome tonight, and was offered an extension launcher for my tray.

View attachment 1347

I believe you wont have an issue with that?

D1vad

Sorry but my Surface Pro 2 doesn't appear to have a page where one can adjust the DPI. The closest I can come to that is the first screen shot I posted above where it is on "Recommended" there are two other options besides recommended that make everything smaller.

Screenshot (16).png

and

Screenshot (15).png

Perhaps someone with different drivers or who is smarter than me can share here if they have the DPI setting. Sorry..

D

Deleted member 10837

You need to select "Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays" to set a custom sizing.

11ux7ow.png

D1vad

You need to select "Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays" to set a custom sizing.

11ux7ow.png

I take it you are running the Microsoft Graphic drivers?

I see this;

Screenshot (17).png

and mine will only accept these values,

Screenshot (18).png

Last edited: