What's new

Surface pro 2 and Dell UP2414Q 4k monitor

rxiesling

I am interested in buying this 4k monitor for my surface pro 2 to replace 7 years old 24 inch iMac.
Has anyone successfully connected surface pro 2 to this monitor at 4k resolution?
Do I need to buy docking station? My impression is that only the docking station supports 4k connection, but don't understand why.
I assume this monitor should also work for my macbook pro 13 inch with retina at lower resolution.
Thank you.

GoodBytes

The dock station mini display port, is just a pass through. There is no circuitry to it to my knowledge. Take it a as a mini extension, as the plug is covered when you dock it, and to minimize things to do when put it on the dock.
Connecting the surface pro 2 to the Dell monitor using a mini-DP 1.2 cable to full size DisplayPort 1.2, should be all you need to make it all work. :)

macmee

Although you don't need the docking station, it could be very nice with your setup.

You can buy a USB keyboard and mouse, hook everything including the monitor up through the dock station, and then all you'll need to do to mount and use your tablet like a fully fledged desktop is to insert it into the docking station.

jontheophilus

beq

Whoa seriously? I was thinking to get 4K monitors for my family :(

Same reason I'm holding off from 4K TV, needs HDMI 2.0 to get 60Hz (not that this is a prob for DisplayPort monitors).

GoodBytes

Wow, what a shame. It makes no sense why it would have such limitation to me.
Could it be an artificial limit? For some reason I am sensing to be the case.

Arizona Willie

But if you are watching streamed media or shows via cable this shouldn't be a problem, should it?

Only if you are trying to watch video from your phone or tablet, right?

I'm planning on getting a 4K tv probably in June. The 2nd generation Sony is due out this month and the 2nd generation Samsung 4K tvs are due out May 19.
I'm waiting till I can compare them in a showroom before getting one, even though I'm getting emails offering the 1st generation 4K's for $2000 off as they try to clear them out.

If there is that much profit they can discount $2000, it should be possible to negotiate a much lower price on the 2nd generation when they get in stores.

Whoa seriously? I was thinking to get 4K monitors for my family :(

Same reason I'm holding off from 4K TV, needs HDMI 2.0 to get 60Hz (not that this is a prob for DisplayPort monitors).

Korlon

I'm just wondering how long until there is enough content out in the marketplace to justify actually having a 4k TV. Currently all I know is Netflix has started presenting one show in 4k. Perhaps its better to wait until the fourth of fifth generation TV models before getting one. As far as I'm concerned, until there is a variety of programming available all your doing is watching lesser quality content and burning more power to do so.

GoodBytes

YouTube supports 4K
[video=youtube;iNJdPyoqt8U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNJdPyoqt8U[/video]
(click on the gear, and select 4K)

[video=youtube;DX48mJjL7oU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX48mJjL7oU[/video]

Korlon

That's all well and good. And ultimately it's up to the buyer, but is YouTube really worth getting a 4k TV or poor quality TN based 4k monitor?

For me, and I'm not passing judgement on others mind you, the costs of first or second generation TV's just won't be worth it. I'll wait a couple of years when the price drops (here in Canada a 4k TV costs between $6k for a 50 inch up to $25k for an 84 inch) to a more reasonable level. As for monitors, I'll just wait because of the lack of offerings. I saw one for Dell and another by Samsung, both seem to be wanting in terms of display and quality build.

Last edited: