What's new

Surface Pro 2 battery - user replaceable????

souldier

User replacable batteries are becoming a thing of the past. laptops and tablets are so thin and compact that it isn't advisable to try to replace anything on your own. Most people end up upgrading by the time the battery becomes a major issue anyway

OP
S

Sit

User replacable batteries are becoming a thing of the past. laptops and tablets are so thin and compact that it isn't advisable to try to replace anything on your own. Most people end up upgrading by the time the battery becomes a major issue anyway

That's too bad. Cell's are made for extreme ease of battery replacement. It certainly shouldn't be difficult to design into tablets. Have you ever seen the electronics that are thrown away? Sad. To me $1000 gadget isn't a throw away after a couple of years because a battery goes bad.... a new battery and new life. When you out grow it, pass it on to someone other than the landfill. Yea tablets, at least the one's I own, have to be shipped somewhere to get a new battery.... then you just get a swapped out unit.

To me its wrong. The tablet makers like it though... sell more and get more moola.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Surface Pro 2 uses the exact same chassis as before, all of the changes are internal....

CrippsCorner

I apologize if this is a stupid question, as I know nothing about the way they're set up... but if the battery died on your Surface would you still be able to use it when it's plugged into the mains? Basically wondering if power runs through the battery to make the thing work or not.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Yep...you can still use it on mains, the battery cover would be useless though as it charges the main battery and doesn't act as a secondary battery.

downinfl

iFixit listed the Surface Pro as one of the 10 most difficult devices to repair, so unless you're a tech with experience and proper tools, getting into it without breaking something doesn't appear to be in the cards. I've seen nothing to say that the Surface 2/Pro 2 will be any different in construction.

CrippsCorner

Yep...you can still use it on mains, the battery cover would be useless though as it charges the main battery and doesn't act as a secondary battery.

Thanks Jeff, good to know, although hopefully I'll never need this knowledge!

As for replacing the battery, if you fancy taking your Surface down to this level it should be easy
biggrin.png

yUrBrfo4u5dJqyUA.medium

drolem

Actually, even at that level is not easy since the battery is glued into the case, but anyone who able to get to that point should be able to remove the battery.

Of course, the next challenge is putting everything back together. ;)
Assuming, of course, that you didn't damage anything during disassembly.