What's new

Surface Pro 2 - best ways to transfer files with desktop

Brandy

What's wrong with workgroup local area networking? I have been using it through several system, the only time I need intermediate storage is with my cell phone.

keylight

What's wrong with workgroup local area networking? I have been using it through several system, the only time I need intermediate storage is with my cell phone.

Yes, that works quite well. But I think the OP's interest - and certainly my interest - is in having automatic file syncing so you don't have to move or copy files around, and don't have to worry about replacing existing files with newer versions when copying.

For me, sparkleshare looks interesting because it includes not only file syncing but file revision control. So no more worrying about writing over one version of a file with another! I've yet to set it up so I can't say how good it is, but it does look promising.

OP
C

chmilz

Yes, that works quite well. But I think the OP's interest - and certainly my interest - is in having automatic file syncing so you don't have to move or copy files around, and don't have to worry about replacing existing files with newer versions when copying.

For me, sparkleshare looks interesting because it includes not only file syncing but file revision control. So no more worrying about writing over one version of a file with another! I've yet to set it up so I can't say how good it is, but it does look promising.

I'll have to look into sparklshare. I'm particularly picky with my music files. Even if I make a subtle change such as update tags or album art on any device, I'd like it to push that through to all synced devices. This is one area where Apple/iTunes is incredibly useless, at least with my iPod (I miss my Zune!).

I'm OCD about file consistency. It simply drives me a bit crazy if what's on one device doesn't match what's on another device, and I figured we were at the point I could finally go multi-device with at least my music and that wouldn't be an issue.

lparsons21

I don't care about the cloud. Cloud does nothing for me when I'm on flights or in places with crappy internet. I just want simple syncing so I don't have to run around updating multiple devices every time I make a change on my computer.

If you configure your OneDrive properly, you don't have to do anything. You can have a local copy of the file on your portable that will sync with OneDrive when it is available and that will sync with your other computers when OneDrive is available to them.

manonthebrain

well what i wanted to do before i got a Onedrive account is get one of these bluetooth usb thingys. (IOGEAR - GBU521 - Bluetooth 4.0 USB Micro Adapter) what i was thinking you could do is pair it up with your surface and do a "transfer data over bluetooth", and if the seconf has bluetooth it should work without

The IOGEAR Bluetooth 4.0 Micro Adapter allows users to connect up to three Bluetooth devices together and transfer even the largest files quickly and easily. With the Micro Adapter's lower power consumption; you can enjoy longer battery life on your notebook computer and other devices. This Bluetooth Class 2 adapter is compatible with PC computers, and offers a wireless range of 30 feet (10 meter). It is great for a wide range of applications and smaller form factor devices in the healthcare, fitness, security and home entertainment industries.

this is also good if you dont have a good wireless speed or it isnt available.

godashram

This is what I use... with a mapped network drive at home. I use the "offline files" option to locally sync what I want.

I also use a Synology and D-Link NAS, so if I need to access something, it's only a login and wifi connection away. Works out pretty well as internet speeds are abysmal where i live, so going to and from the cloud is SLOW.

guymalloc

I have 4 pc's at home I use, one old xp desktop, a vista laptop, a win7 netbook, and now my surface pro 128 (still using win 8), as well as my non-smart but internet and multimedia capable cell phone, and an android tablet. The only thing I keep syncronized is my contacts. Everything else, personal video, financial info, photos, and music, I have on a 32gb external ssd in a single usb case, formatted Fat32. every device can read it, and I can move it from pc to pc with ease. The only pain is bluetoothing stuff to the cell phone, but OBEX Commander makes that possible from the pc's, and the android tablet does it easy with ESfile manager.

Rvacha

Not a fan of OneDrive myself. Used to have problems with it hanging, I will not give up my rights and condone NSA spying, and cloud sync starts getting ugly if you have a DSL connection and multiple devices. Latest fiasco: through utter incompetence MS flushed 200GB of my storage down the drain. Luckily I had already taken everything down long before. It also doesn't sync Outlook PSTs. I have been using BestSync from Risefly. It is fast, local, and syncs Outlook PSTs. It is very flexible so at first it might be overwhelming but you can pick it up quite quickly. If I didn't already own this and I didn't care about Outlook, I'd probably be using BitTorrent Sync which just launched a Windows Phone 8 app (BestSync does not support WP8). If BitTorrent Sync were to support PSTs I'd have it installed for a test drive ASAP.

benjitek

...I will not give up my rights and condone NSA spying... ...it doesn't sync Outlook PSTs...
Works great for me -- PST's aren't a concern as I used Hosted Exchange -- if I should need to restore Outlook, all I need is my login info. The NSA might liken sifting through my email a bit like taking Ambien during daylight -- also not a concern ;-)

Jonrobs

I have been a user of Goodsync for many years. It allows you to sync multiple computers over your local network or over the internet.
You can sync on file change which gives you similar solution without having your files in the cloud. Their are many other sync conditions you can setup as well.

sagatiba

How can I use the OneDrive remote desktop access on the SP2? my OneDrive, is still Skydrive, and I don't find the option to enable remote dessktop

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Remote Desktop is completely different from OneDrive. Remote Desktop Hosts are limited to Windows Pro or higher without 3rd Party Solutions like Splashtop or TeamViewer...we will need mire info to assist you.