What's new

Surface Pro 2 Charger Port Scratches

Jusrw97

Hi. I just want to see if this is a common issue. The charger is hard to get in, but does it scratch up your device at all? Thanks.

oion

Well. I believe the question has been brought up before (though I can't seem to find it around here), but it doesn't seem to be a common problem, if it exists. The VaporMg coating is, after all, magnesium, and is supposed to be quite durable. By the way, this thread comes up first in a Google search about the topic, so... take that as you will. :p

Kiri

Haha I just created an account to reply to this. Unfortunately, I have a minor scratch above the charge port. I wasn't rough with it, but it's just a bit difficult to get the right angle. It was right after I opened it too .... :p

But after me yelling and crying, I said whatever bc I don't stare at the port and I bought the pc to use it on the go. It's going to get minor scratches and dings regardless of my use. If you care that much, just be patient and make sure you're looking where you are putting the plug in.

oion

By the way--StickerBoy.com has decal kits that cover the entire Surface, including sides (and thus around the charging port). Surface Pro 1 and 2 have identical case structure, as far as I know. There's an idea if you're paranoid.

Kiri

By the way--StickerBoy.com has decal kits that cover the entire Surface, including sides (and thus around the charging port). Surface Pro 1 and 2 have identical case structure, as far as I know. There's an idea if you're paranoid.

Oh sweet thanks for that! I had completely forgot about decals

jamesk

ArmorSuit has a really nice carbon fiber skin with a lifetime replacement. But uaing a skin causes the suface to run hotter since it can't dissipate the heat.

oion

ArmorSuit has a really nice carbon fiber skin with a lifetime replacement. But uaing a skin causes the suface to run hotter since it can't dissipate the heat.

I doubt by that much, though, since most of the heat movement in the Pro is done through the fans and a decal/skin isn't that thick. A full case, however, is another issue--also because cases are going to naturally block at least some of the vent slot.

OP
J

Jusrw97

Incipio is supposedly making a case for the surface pro, so I may just wait for that. I called them and asked if they are making one, they said they are, but you know how people say one thing and do another.

oion

Incipio is supposedly making a case for the surface pro, so I may just wait for that. I called them and asked if they are making one, they said they are, but you know how people say one thing and do another.

Incipio supposedly has two Pro cases on the Microsoft Store, though they don't exist on their own website yet. But no RT/2 versions, alas.
http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/...46-incipio-capture-feather-cases-surface.html

As far as I can tell, Incipio's cases above are the only snap-in ones for Surface on the market--or will be to the market. In terms of minimalism, a snap-in case is between a decal and regular portfolio case, so I really hope these things get off the ground!

ALLCAPS

Mine already has small scratches from the metal charging cable. You can't really tell unless you hold it in the right light, but its pretty bad. The lip is already turning silver as well, around the port.