What's new

Solved Surface Pro 2 cooling solutions?

OP
H

hertsjoatmon

Further thought on this... I could use thermal tape and a thin / flat heat pipe on the top edge on the back to increase the conductive area allowing for better heat dispersion as well as doubling as a grip for using the tablet one handed in portrait mode... I'm thinking way too much into this! :/

jefhart

Have you actually had any problems with your unit getting hot? I think you're worrying a bit too much about it. The processor will shut off before it becomes an issue.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Further thought on this... I could use thermal tape and a thin / flat heat pipe on the top edge on the back to increase the conductive area allowing for better heat dispersion as well as doubling as a grip for using the tablet one handed in portrait mode... I'm thinking way too much into this! :/
No issues in the arctic. :)

OP
H

hertsjoatmon

Have you actually had any problems with your unit getting hot? I think you're worrying a bit too much about it. The processor will shut off before it becomes an issue.
Only that it means that it throttles and lowers the max performance. The more I can having it running on turbo the better in my opinion. Those fans are really having to work hard.

OP
H

hertsjoatmon

I'm considering attatching 2 heatsinks to the areas bellow the 2 exaust fans to draw more of the heat out and increase the rate of heat dispersion. The surface of the surface seems to get to about 55deg underload. Is this hot enough that a heat sink would make much of a difference? The ones im looking at are 40 x 60 x 6 mm. So they wont stick out the back too much but they would increase the thermal conductive mass and surface area and my theory is that it would therefor draw out more heat from the processors.

OP
H

hertsjoatmon

SOLVED!!! :D
Reduced the Turbo boost power max and short turbo boost power max to 15 and 18 W (instead of 17.5 and 25 W) respectively.
Bench mark score reduced from 307 to 306. Max temp 78deg but averaged around 75deg during the tesing. 0 throttling.
My peak performance is now reduced but my average performance is now much more stable.
I'd rather have a constant 30 fps than a fps that fluctuates between 15 and 45.
No additional cooling required.