What's new

Surface Pro 2 CPU

• Thread starter Deleted member 10837
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 10837

The second generation Surface Pro will integrate Haswell i5 with HD 5000 graphics everyone seem to be saying which would narrow the possible selection to the 4250U and 4350U. I'm wondering how much faster they are compared to the 3317U of the current Surface Pro.

Update
It seems the Surface Pro 2 will have the 1.6 GHz i5-4200U with HD 4400 Graphics.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/download/presskits/surface/docs/SurfacePro2FS.docx

Last edited by a moderator:

demandarin

HD5000 is definitely a noticeable jump in performance from pro1 hd4000.

As far as CPU speeds, I think I remember reading at least 30% faster or better. Also depends on each chip as voltage might be different with the higher one allowing higher clocked speeds or longer sustained high speeds.

joga

The second generation Surface Pro will integrate Haswell i5 with HD 5000 graphics everyone seem to be saying which would narrow the possible selection to the 4250U and 4350U. I'm wondering how much faster they are compared to the 3317U of the current Surface Pro.

If i remember well the main focus for haswell was to reduce power consuption and not a big performance increase. I think a jump of 10% was announced.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

demandarin

The performance,CPU wise, jump will depend on which version of haswell they go with...based on being paired with hd5000, there's really only 2 versions that it could be. One of them has slight bump in performance, probably not even noticeable. But the other one is significantly more powerful.

Either way the i5 in current pro always performs well and fast. Everything always opens up fast, scrolling is fast, etc... only way we will notice any increase is through gaming or very CPU intensive tasks. Like Photoshop, video editing, music studio programs etc.. but for everyday simple stuff like opening mail/web browsing, a difference won't be noticed because device is already so fast.

The i5 in current pro is no slouch now. Lol

CrippsCorner

Well it seems options are coming the Surface 2 models so perhaps you'll be able to have whichever processor you like! Would be nice... kinda doubt it though.

souldier

I wouldn't care so much for performance increase. My pro is plenty fast and have never had a problem with speed. I would love battery life increase however

CrippsCorner

Started noticing some serious video buffering with my Surface lately... never happened with my desktop so can't be my internet connection. Strange.

olimjj

The Surface Pro 1 has an 1.7 Ghz i5-3317U with Turbo [email protected] compared to 1.6 GHz i5-4200U with Turbo Boost @ 2.6GHz for the Surface Pro 2. I guess the speed increase will be attributable to the different embedded Graphics, HD 4400 as apposed to HD 4000. Any thoughts???

illuzn

I think you're right - the performance boost mostly comes from the graphics 20 EUs vs 16 EUs rather than the CPU itself.

I'm thinking at base clock the Haswell architecture will easily make up for the 0.1GHz speed drop (but with a minor although probably not noticeable speed increase). In turbo boost, the 4200U should outclass the 3317U by the 10% number intel quoted.

What's surprising for me is where this 75% battery life increase is actually coming from given that the TDP/SDP only vary by around 20%? Where is the other 55% coming from? The screen?

OP
D

Deleted member 10837

I think reports claiming 75% longer battery and 50% better graphics performance are vastly exaggeration. 1.5 - 2 hours longer battery I can possibly believe but not 175% unless there is something dubious involved. I am disappointed Microsoft chose not to include HD 5000 Graphics. The Surface Pro 2 only scored less then 10% higher in PCMark 7.

Microsoft Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 benchmarks and hands-on | PCWorld

Last edited by a moderator: