What's new

Surface Pro 2 Dual Monitor Setup Help

Tez10

I just purchased the SP2 for work thinking that it would be easy to hook up two monitors. I have Samsung monitors but they only have an HDMI and DVI inputs. I'm only using the monitors for dual display purposes such as viewing multiple excel worksheets, PDFs, etc. Can someone please suggest adaptors and/or cables so I can link them to my SP2? I have been reading posts on this topic but don't understand exactly what I need to buy.

Here are a few possible solutions I've found:
1) DisplayPort mini to HDMI/DVI adapters - heard this only works to convert 1 monitor not dual.
2) Plugable USB 3.0 Docking Station - not sure if this has the necessary ports

GoodBytes

The Surface Pro 2 features mini Display Port 1.2, which allows you to daisy chain up to 4x monitors at 1920x1200 together from 1 plug.
However, your monitors needs to support this. You can use a special type of splitter (properly called: Multi Stream Transport (MST) Hub), but miles will vary if it works well for you or not.

Here is an example of one:
Multi Stream Transport (MST) Hub - Graphic solutions GeForce & Radeon

DisplayPort can be be converted down to: HDMI or single link DVI (meaning max resolution is 1920x1200 @ 60Hz)
HDMI max resolution will depend on the GPU solution, monitor, and cable you use. It can be maxed at 1920x1200 @ 60Hz, or 2560x1600 @ 60Hz.
To convert DisplayPort to dual link DVI, meaning supporting resolution of 2560x1600 @ 60Hz, you need an active adapter. This means that the adapter contain a circuit design and processor, which requires to be powered (usually uses USB as power source), to convert allow a higher resolution.

USB Display adapter is a solution to operate a second display, however expect low performance out of it. It's really for office work. Depending on what you get, it may have even trouble playing youtube videos.

OP
T

Tez10

Thanks for the information. It looks like the Multi Stream Hub may not work for the SP2 yet. I saw something that has a setup similar to this.

This docking station: Plugable UD-3000 Universal Docking Station (DVI/VGA/HDMI to 2048×1152, Gigabit Ethernet, Audio In/Out, Extra USB 3.0/2.0 Ports, 4A AC Power) | Plugable

If I buy a DaisyPort mini to HDMI converter for the other monitor would that still be slow? As I said I mainly use it for work but would like to keep my computer performance the same.

GoodBytes

Performance should be the same as on your Surface Pro display as you use the Intel GPU. your Surface Pro might get a little warmer as the Intel integrated graphics will have to drive 2 displays, but beside that, should be fine.

mohcho

I just picked up a Surface Pro 2 128gb and bought the Plugable dock for my office setup. I replaced my Dell laptop with the SP2 and the 22" Dell monitors I have only have DVI and VGA. I'm using the dock with the DVI and a HDMI > DVI cable and it works great. YouTube and other videos and graphics are great, no delays, lags, etc.

The SP2 is pretty awesome and I'm loving the battery life compared to my laptop.

mohcho

No, the Plugable UD-3900 has dual video output - DVI and HDMI. I tried the setup with mini-displayport to VGA (only adapter I have right now) for one monitor and DVI from the Plugable dock, but I didn't like how it outputted to my monitors, so I'm using both outputs from the dock. At home, I use the mini-displayport to VGA, but will get a mini-dp > hdmi adapter.

mohcho

Make sure you download the latest drivers for it from the Plugable site. The older drivers had some problems, so I didn't even bother to use the ones from the provided CD.

OP
T

Tez10

SP2 Dual Monitor Poor Performance

I bought the Plugable UD-3900 and a mini Display Port to HDMI converter to power my two monitors on the SP2. I have been experiencing poor performance when doing something as simple as typing an email or searching for something online. Does anyone know if there is a reason for this? This slow performance doens't happen all the time either and I can't figure out why. On a previous post it warned of slower performace but I didn't think it would this bad. If anyone has any suggestions on how to fix it that would be great.

joeysargent

Surface Pro2 Chaining Display Port issues

Thanks for the info you provided on Display Port chaining. I have this working with 2 Dell monitors. However, I cannot figure out how to make my first Dell monitor the Primary and extend the display to the 2nd Dell Monitor. My surface sees both monitors as a single monitor so I cannot get the Primary monitor settings correct. For now I would have to work primarily off my Surface screen with the 2 dell monitors duplicating when set to extend monitor mode.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

The Surface Pro 2 features mini Display Port 1.2, which allows you to daisy chain up to 4x monitors at 1920x1200 together from 1 plug....

-Joe

Nuspieds

Thanks for the info you provided on Display Port chaining. I have this working with 2 Dell monitors. However, I cannot figure out how to make my first Dell monitor the Primary and extend the display to the 2nd Dell Monitor. My surface sees both monitors as a single monitor so I cannot get the Primary monitor settings correct. For now I would have to work primarily off my Surface screen with the 2 dell monitors duplicating when set to extend monitor mode.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

-Joe
Use the Charms menu: Select Devices, then Project. You will then see the available options, one of which is Extend.

To set your primary monitor, right-click on the Desktop and select "Screen Resolution". Then select your to-be primary monitor from the "Display:" dropdown (or click on its icon in the area above the dropdown). Then select "Make this my main display" checkbox. As you can see from the dropdown above the checkbox, you can also set multi-monitor display settings on this screen as well.