What's new

surface pro 2 keeps rebooting once every 10 minutes or so, even in sleep.

macmee

About once every ten minutes my surface reboots itself. I have installed nothing new in weeks. Even if the screen is off it reboots itself. I tried system restoring to November when it was working and it did not fix the issue.

This sucks :(

MickeyLittle

I guess that you must have got bit by the bad firmware update in December. Good luck with Microsoft support.

Rvacha

Congratulations! You're one of the lucky few (3 out of 1000) impacted by the new firmware

Of course I am being sarcastic

OP
macmee

macmee

Congratulations! You're one of the lucky few (3 out of 1000) impacted by the new firmware

Of course I am being sarcastic

Strange, this never happened to me before even though I've been running the firmware since it came out. I guess ill have to do some research to find out how to remove it.

Also, sometimes in metro apps the keyboard doesn't automatically open. Very annoying and also started occurring to me recently.

Ruffles

I'm guessing your hitting a blue screen and it's rebooting. Check your startup and recovery options and disable the reboot option. Then, you should be able to see what crashed.

OP
macmee

macmee

I'm guessing your hitting a blue screen and it's rebooting. Check your startup and recovery options and disable the reboot option. Then, you should be able to see what crashed.

I don't see a blue screen. Is there any way to confirm that I'm running the botched firmware?

drolem

a) look in the event log to see what's happening -- several things such as the Wi-Fi driver can reboot the SP2
b) do a hard reset
c) I already posted in a different thread how to check the FW versions
d) Windows Update -> View Update History
e) run "pnputil -e" (may want to pipe the result into a text file)

Last edited: