What's new

Surface Pro 2 Official Specs

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I was at the event as a guest of Microsoft to talk to the Press and Analysts. I spent 2 days with the team including Panos Panay and was able to talk to some of the Engineering Team. Stevie the guy who created the Touch and Type Covers as well as the Remix Blade is awesome!!!

Official Specs for the Pro 2:

Specs
Operating system Windows 8.1 Pro with one-month trial for new Microsoft Office 365 customers
Exterior 10.81” x 6.81” x 0.53”
2 lbs
VaporMg casing
Dark Titanium color
Volume and power buttons
Storage 64 GB, 128 GB, 256 GB, 512 GB3
Display 10.6" ClearType Full HD display
1920 x 1080p
16:9 (widescreen)
10-point multitouch
Pen input Pen input and pen (included with purchase)
Pen digitizer features 1,024 levels of pressure sensitivity
CPU Fourth-generation Intel Core i5-4200U (1.6 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost up to 2.6 GHz) with Intel HD Graphics 4400
4 GB or 8 GB of RAM — dual-channel LPDDR3
TPM 1.2 (Trusted Platform Module – for Bitlocker Encryption)
Wireless Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)
Bluetooth 4.0 low energy technology
Battery 42 W-h
Cameras and A/V 720p HD front- and rear-facing cameras
Built-in microphone
Stereo speakers with enhanced signal processing
Ports Full-size USB 3.0
MicroSDXC card slot
Headset jack
Mini DisplayPort
Cover port
Sensors Ambient light sensor
Accelerometer
Gyroscope
Magnetometer
Power supply 48W power supply (including 5W USB for accessory charging)
Warranty One-year limited hardware warranty
Apps (included) Mail, Calendar, People, Internet Explorer 11, Photos, Music, Video, Games, Skype, Fresh Paint, Calculator, Reading List, Reader, Scan, News, Weather, Sports, Travel, Finance, Health & Fitness, Food & Drink, Help, Camera, SkyDrive, Sound Recorder and more

Value-added services
To help people get the most out of Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2, customers purchasing either device will receive free Skype calling to landlines in more than 60 countries for one year, unlimited Skype WiFi on their Surface 2 or Surface Pro 2 at more than 2 million hot spots worldwide for one year, and 200 GB of free SkyDrive storage for two years.

New Accessories
Today’s announcement also includes seven new accessories that will make Surface even more flexible, more portable and more productive:
• Touch Cover 2. Thinner and lighter than the original Touch Cover, measuring only 2.75 mm thin, Touch Cover 2 features backlit keys for even better readability. Touch Cover 2 is more rigid, registers keystrokes with greater accuracy and features updated sensors that support a variety of gestures across the entire keyboard. Touch Cover 2 has an estimated retail price of $119.99. It will be available for pre-order on Sept. 24 in all markets where Surface devices are available for pre-order.

• Type Cover 2. Type Cover 2 features the same super-thin, lightweight design of the original Type Cover, but it’s now backlit and will be available in Cyan, Magenta, Purple and Black in the coming months. It’s also more rigid, providing a better lap-typing experience, and is designed to be noticeably quieter when striking keys. Type Cover 2 will have an estimated retail price of $129.99. It will be available for pre-order on Sept. 24 in all markets where Surface devices are available for pre-order.3

• Power Cover. Power Cover delivers the same great typing experience you get with Type Cover while extending the battery life of your Surface 2, Surface Pro and Surface Pro 2 by up to 50 percent to help you make it through that late-night meeting or the entire flight. Power Cover will have an estimated retail price of $199.99 and has a projected release date of early 2014.

• Docking Station for Surface Pro. The Docking Station for Surface Pro lets you quickly connect Surface Pro and Surface Pro 2 to desktop PC peripherals in a single step, taking you from laptop to desktop in an instant. While Surface Pro or Surface Pro 2 is docked, it can connect with an external monitor, Ethernet, speakers and power supply. PC peripherals connect via its one USB 3.0 port and three USB 2.0 ports. The Docking Station for Surface Pro will have an estimated retail price of $199.99 and has a projected release date of early 2014.

• Wireless Adapter for Typing Covers. The Wireless Adapter for Typing Covers connects magnetically to any Touch or Type Cover, letting you type from anywhere in the room using Bluetooth technology, so it is even easier to connect Surface to a TV or monitor4 and type from another location, such as the couch. Wireless Adapter for Typing Covers will have an estimated retail price of $59.99. It will be available for pre-order in the U.S. and Canada beginning Sept. 24.

• Car Charger with USB. Car Charger plugs into most cars’ power or lighter ports and charges Surface without the need for an additional adapter. It also features a USB port to allow simultaneous charging of a phone or other device. Car Charger will have an estimated retail price of $49.99 and has a projected release date of early 2014.

• Arc Touch Mouse Surface Edition. This special-edition Arc Touch Mouse has been updated to match the look of Surface. Like other Arc Touch mice, it is designed for comfort and flattens for portability. It connects via Bluetooth 3.0, freeing Surface’s USB port for use by other devices. Arc Touch Mouse Surface Edition will have an estimated retail price of $69.99 and will be available for pre-order in the U.S. and Canada on Sept. 24. Distribution in additional markets is projected to begin in the coming months.

Rvacha

Of the specs were left out the most important one for me is the WiFi chipset. I am going to cry if it is a Marvell phy and I'm going to party in the streets if it is an Intel phy

Deryl McCarty

I had more issues with the Marvell350n (probably drivers not hardware but who knows) than anything else on my SP 128. Density and antenna range should give better signal strength, but processing it is a b**** if the software is weak. But of course with a dock that has a RJ45 connector that issue at least in an office or home environment should be lessened. Let's hope the second time is a charm for Marvell.

D

Deleted member 10837

I don't want the Skype and SkyDrive service so I'm wondering about selling them.

Last edited by a moderator:

CrippsCorner

You know the one thing I'd really love... if the dock had a built in HDD. Man I would definitely get it then. As it is, because I thought they wren't going to bring one out, I made my way with other products which I'm happy with so I just don't think I really need one. But then, there's always the dangerous want factor isn't there!