What's new

surface pro 2 over mac air

oion

Telstar1948

I had a MacBook Air 2013 and changed it out for the Surface Pro 2. So far I am very happy. One thing I always wondered was what would happen to the popularity of the Mac if Microsoft never allowed Apple to use its OS to dual boot. I know I certainly would have never switched to the MacBook if I knew that I couldn't put Windows on it.

Like you, I only switched to Mac because it could run Windows and I like the Mac OS; however, going back 100% to Windows because I'm tired of the dual-boot (Bootcamp & virtual machines) plus even documents that are supposed to save exactly as a Windows' document sometimes seem to have some sort of oddity from time to time. Enough is enough.

macmee

Like you, I only switched to Mac because it could run Windows and I like the Mac OS; however, going back 100% to Windows because I'm tired of the dual-boot (Bootcamp & virtual machines) plus even documents that are supposed to save exactly as a Windows' document sometimes seem to have some sort of oddity from time to time. Enough is enough.

When I made the switch from my main OS from Windows to OS X I frequently used Parallels (and this was on a core 2 duo when it was harder to run) and Bootcamp. As time progressed though I rarely used Parallels and now I don't even have a Windows partition at all. If you game though then I can see the problem because you pretty much always have to run Windows to play games.

In terms of documents saving differently I have never experienced this. Were you using Pages or MSWord?

Telstar1948

When I made the switch from my main OS from Windows to OS X I frequently used Parallels (and this was on a core 2 duo when it was harder to run) and Bootcamp. As time progressed though I rarely used Parallels and now I don't even have a Windows partition at all. If you game though then I can see the problem because you pretty much always have to run Windows to play games.

In terms of documents saving differently I have never experienced this. Were you using Pages or MSWord?

Word, Excel… this doesn't happen often but enough to be a pain. I tried Pages etc early on but those files were far worse in compatibility. I suppose if you buy the newest Office Suite each time it comes out (I'm running Mac 2008 and I have no plans to buy Mac 2011) things may be less problematic; one hopes anyway. I guess I can sum up my Mac experience like this — love OSX but it seems when interacting with others using Windows there's enough "off" times that it's a drag, particularly when business clients have an issue (they're always on Windows it seems).