What's new

Surface Pro 2 powers up by itself

NickP

I have a Pro 2 and for the last week or so it has started up by itself. Initially I thought that it was only in sleep mode (usually overnight) but I have taken to powering down between uses. It has "woken up" 3 times and I have had to enter the password (which is not enabled if it's just asleep) so I know it was definitely off. Once it was in a padded case in a briefcase and was too hot to handle comfortably. I've looked at various settings but have found none which might cause this. Thanks in advance for any help. BTW I am in the UK but can't see that should make any difference.
Nick
PS I've just found Event Viewer which appears to shw what's going on at specific times. It appears to show BTHUSB at 11:01 this morning which is approx when it started up after 24 hours or so. I was up in a roof at the time (don't ask!) so the tablet was sitting in a case in a stationary car.

Last edited:

jrapdx

I have a Pro 2 and for the last week or so it has started up by itself. Initially I thought that it was only in sleep mode (usually overnight) but I have taken to powering down between uses. It has "woken up" 3 times and I have had to enter the password (which is not enabled if it's just asleep) so I know it was definitely off. Once it was in a padded case in a briefcase and was too hot to handle comfortably. I've looked at various settings but have found none which might cause this. Thanks in advance for any help. BTW I am in the UK but can't see that should make any difference.
Nick
PS I've just found Event Viewer which appears to shw what's going on at specific times. It appears to show BTHUSB at 11:01 this morning which is approx when it started up after 24 hours or so. I was up in a roof at the time (don't ask!) so the tablet was sitting in a case in a stationary car.

I've also noticed the "insomnia" of my SP2. This has occurred when connected to charger, and left in sleep mode at my bedtime. It has been a surprise finding it "bright and alert" at 03:00 when I was awakened at that hour.

The SP2 has shown other weirdness re: battery indicator, and keyboard/mouse anomalies widely reported. MS was rumored to release a firmware update today, but alas, no one has yet seen it...

JRA

Philtastic

I believe that this is a product of the December firmware update that screwed up a bunch of things which a fix is supposed to come out today. I used to have this problem on my previous SP2 which I bought in Dec. where it would self-boot on its own and drain the battery overnight if it wasn't plugged in. I have not had this problem in the week that I've had a replacement unit with the Core i5-4300U CPU where I've left it multiple nights not plugged in and it has stayed off all the time. Cross your fingers that the fix today handles this really annoying issue.

Garyjk

i would check the power management tab on the nic's property page in device manager and make sure allow this device to wake computer is not checked

jrapdx

Unfortunately, the firmware upgrade wasn't included in the batch of updates issued earlier today.

I'm rather doubtful it will happen today, but with any luck, my prediction will be proven wrong...

BTW, to prevent WiFi disconnection when the SP2 sleeps (and on battery power), unset the wireless adapter configuration option: "Allow the computer to turn off this device".

Otherwise, it disconnects and doesn't automatically reconnect when sleep ends.

Last edited:

MickeyLittle

Nick

If your device got too hot to handle there is a very good chance that it has been damaged by the Microsoft Firmware that was pushed out to users back is December. Microsoft did pull the faulty firmware from the airwaves but not before frying or severely damaging quite a few Surface Pro 2 tablets. Yours sounds like the typical case. The device powers on automatically, inside a bag, and massively overheats. This has caused internal damage as well as creaking screens where the glue has lost its grip and the screen and the case now have a flex when you sort of twist them in your hands. Check your device out really good because it sounds like you need to get it replaced while you still can!

godson594

If your device got too hot to handle there is a very good chance that it has been damaged by the Microsoft Firmware that was pushed out to users back is December. Microsoft did pull the faulty firmware from the airwaves but not before frying or severely damaging quite a few Surface Pro 2 tablets. Yours sounds like the typical case. The device powers on automatically, inside a bag, and massively overheats. This has caused internal damage as well as creaking screens where the glue has lost its grip and the screen and the case now have a flex when you sort of twist them in your hands. Check your device out really good because it sounds like you need to get it replaced while you still can!

Push down on the bezel on upper left of scree and move finger towards center of top bezel. Hopefully your's doesn't make noise now....