What's new

surface pro 2- usb charging

If the battery size is 4200mAh (I think). Why is it I can't plug in a mophie 6000mAh battery pack into the USB port and charge the tablet when not in use?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Because the USB port has power set for powering the port, its unidirectional. USB Ports have to be configured and engineered differently to allow them to receive an external charge....

GoodBytes

Yup.
If you plug your battery on the USB port.. probably you battery pack will be charging by your Surface Pro 2. So it will be exactly the reverse you want to do :)
The only way to charge the Surface Pro 2 is via the power connector.

Last edited:

Devolver

This is a concequence of Micrsofts less then informing marketing, the Pro versions of surface can't truly be categorized as a tablet, and is more of an ultrabook.

But it would be nice for consumers if a laptop charger standard was enforced, like the USB charging standard. Hopefully the EU or the industry itself might come with this consumer friendly standard in the near future.

GoodBytes

This is a concequence of Micrsofts less then informing marketing, the Pro versions of surface can't truly be categorized as a tablet, and is more of an ultrabook.

But it would be nice for consumers if a laptop charger standard was enforced, like the USB charging standard. Hopefully the EU or the industry itself might come with this consumer friendly standard in the near future.

The Surface Pro is a convertible system.
It competes with those devices:
lat_XT-150x136.jpg
dell_latitude_xt_1-180-120.jpg

It is not a tablet per se.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Microsoft never marketed it as a "Tablet" in the Android/iPad sense, they created a SKU in between the Ultrabook and the Tablet called the Surface Pro and a Productivity Tablet called the Surface, they're attempting to create its own category.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Link on a popular web search says:

"Surface Pro 2 - The Microsoft Tablet That's Got It All
www.microsoft.com/surface/en-au/products/surface-pro-2‎
The Surface Pro 2 is the Microsoft tablet that can truly replace your laptop"

https://www.google.com/#q=microsoft+surface+pro

Despite all that, I still think tablet is a valid moniker. I sometimes refer to it as a tablet, but also sometimes as a laptop (just easier when fielding work queries).
My wife calls it a fandangle :)

Yes, but the positioning and value proposition is around the fact it is more than a tablet, it is a Surface....

al2fast

I like to call it pretty freakin awesome! Fills the tablet niche for me better than any other device I've owned, Surface RT, Android, & iOS. It's too small for me to be my only computing device though. Its the only tablet I've been able to run handbrake on!

Ady

hey guys...i am in a real need........
my surface pro is not charging from the charger, the connector's light turns on for a while as i plug it in and goes off after 5-6 sec. , also if while connected to charger i press power button on surface the connector's light is on for the same little time......

my tab is no more booting up.......it has no battery .........and I Am In INDIA.....where it is not launched yet......So No Service Center Option.....Help me

menas

I believe this is common if you are using the Surface line of products out of US. It needs proper grounding and in countries where the ground wiring is not integrated into both pins (just guessing, I am not an electrical engineer) :D. If this happens, simply flip the plug and the static sensation should go-away. I am under the belief that a static current always passing through components is not good for its long life. So better take care. :)