What's new

Surface Pro 2 - Who's Waiting for It?

drolem

The fanboys may upgrade to this but if MS thinks this is going to be a sales winner for them they are nuts. They basically put a new coat of paint on the Edsel.
If you want to go with a car analogy, it would be a new engine with ~25% more HP while getting ~25% better mpg.

I mean it is going to look EXACTLY like the Surface Pro I
What? No paint job then?! :shocked:

that no one bought.
Yeah, right.

polbit

The fanboys may upgrade to this but if MS thinks this is going to be a sales winner for them they are nuts. They basically put a new coat of paint on the Edsel. I mean it is going to look EXACTLY like the Surface Pro I that no one bought. Someone actually gets paid for making these decisions?

The Surface Pro II makes no economic sense just like the Surface II makes no sense without a full HD screen, but if rumors are correct MS is about to do both.

The Surface II with a full HD screen at the right price could have been a real winner for students and young people. Now no, even that won't work.

Why in the world do you need higher res that 1920x1080 on the SPro?? The current screen is definitely the last item I would worry about. Battery life, laptop mode improvements, weight & thickness, noise and storage space are what's needed.

polbit

I've sold my Pro after using it for a while, and now replaced it with Dell XPS 12. For me it's a perfect hybrid device and I couldn't be happier. My wife on the other hand is now using my Surface RT, and will be the first in line to get SPro II if the battery life is substantially improved.

Funny thing is, for both me and my wife Surface tablets are what brought us back into the Windows world, having been using Macs for a while now. So while they might not have been a great commercial success, Surface might actually be helping MS in other ways.

kgneo

Today, 02:06 AM #16
kgneo

Although this is officially the Surface Pro 2 - most tech sites agree it is more like Pro 1.2. And that is really what most of us have been waiting for anyway - and are ready to jump on as soon as pre-ordering is announced. Right or wrong, Microsoft is held to higher standards and is held to task for shortcomings considered "part of the growing process" for others - Microsoft is expected to significantly upgrade each version to be considered successful. Perhaps unfair but fortunately the Surface Team seems to be up to the task. While some were dreaming of a MUCH slimmer and lighter model, with LTE, etc., etc., - and the list goes on - and on. I think they were trying to convince Microsoft to build them an Android or Apple tablet instead of letting the Surface be a Surface. Of course successors will eventually have many if not all of these additions, but remember, this is really 1.2. And it's amazing.
And we will see the battery life continue to climb once the battery cover is released - as if 7-8 hours on a FULLY functional, power house in that small of a footprint (great looking too) isn't already amazing? And LTE? Why not a super integrated setting for the WP8 / Surface so they share internet seamlessly – utilize a settings option and wave the phone over the Surface to activate? I for one do not want another Data contract. Microsoft - get creative. Find a way...
Over the last year we have read the lists of "What the Surface Pro 2 Must have to survive" - guess what? They nailed it or at least got enough of it right to be very proud (again) of this device. This is exactly what many of us have been waiting to buy. Given the life cycle most of us give our devices - or more likely it is the carriers contract - I would expect 2 years to be the average time some would want to have the keep their device. I would expect I am not alone in my yearly upgrades! But imagine what the Surface will be in 2016! Don't forget they have so much expertise suddenly within their grasp with the acquisition of Nokia.
With all of that said - a Surface Pro 2 triumph is not a given -or does it even have an obvious path. Until everyone's uncle, brother and co-worker has one there will still be many who are unsure - who have heard too much anti-MS propaganda to make the jump. Unless it's EASILY AFFORDABLE. Keep the high price tags so people know they are getting a premium device and perhaps put out a Surface with premium upgrades to maintain the upscale image. But blitz the market with sales and bundled deals and (great idea (MS) - turn in your iPad and get $300 (not $200) off - and expand on this - perhaps also Nexus and Galaxy Tabs? What about bundling the Flagship WP with a Surface Pro 2 with a very competitive price (subsidized by the carrier of course with a Surface/WP only reduced priced tethering plan) How about daily giveaway contests? Keep Surface in the news and more importantly in the minds of your target audience. No, you won't make a ton of profits on this version - but from what I can read through the tea leaves (MS public statements) MS is in this for the long haul. Sell them that way. All Pro's MUST have a keyboard included. Perhaps get the keyboards sponsored by everything Greenpeace to BestBuy, and Equal Rights to BMW - perhaps a Coach branded Surface messenger bag. Then only if you choose to buy a MS Surfacem keyboard cover would there be a price. Anyone selecting from an ever growing selection of co-branded covers that would share space with the MS Surface / WIN8.1 logo would pay nothing for either option. Want to have the app developers eager to create apps - make sure there a lots of users to buy those apps. As WIN8(8.1/9) and WP8(9) continue to move towards the goal of one ecosystem on all our devices it’s success is hinging on getting a critical piece of that hardware in as many hands as possible, NOW. Nokia seem to know how to sell and market products (the last few years certainly not their best example - but nonetheless a huge player in sales and marketing) PLEASE MAKE THIS RELEASE COUNT! Sell the SH*^ out of the Surface... Count your profits in a few years. The current numbers are not loses, they are investments in the long term success of not just Surface, but WP8, and the continued adoption of Win8 / Win8.1 but in no small way the success of MS as a Software, Services and Devices Market Leader. And remember, you will always have your devoted fans BUT YOU WILL NOT HAVE ANOTHER CHANCE LIKE THIS - Surface re-energized, the goodwill towards Lumia /Nokia, overall increase in global market of WP, and a steady rise in adoption of WIN 8 and soon with 8.1 as well.

No more excuses and no more missed opportunities.

Last edited:

GreatWindows

The fanboys may upgrade to this but if MS thinks this is going to be a sales winner for them they are nuts. They basically put a new coat of paint on the Edsel. I mean it is going to look EXACTLY like the Surface Pro I that no one bought. Someone actually gets paid for making these decisions?

The Surface Pro II makes no economics' sense just like the Surface II makes no sense without a full HD screen, but if rumors are correct MS is about to do both.

The Surface II with a full HD screen at the right price could have been a real winner for students and young people. Now no, even that won't work.

Apple does the same exact thing.... Lol
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

GreatWindows

Why in the world do you need higher res that 1920x1080 on the SPro?? The current screen is definitely the last item I would worry about. Battery life, laptop mode improvements, weight & thickness, noise and storage space are what's needed.

Kids these days are hypnotized by Apple and their "Retina" display lol.....1080p is perfect, and I love how people talk about their MacBook retina when the video card in it can't even push that many pixels in Tetris lmao
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

Kaldek

I work for a major MS partner and have this info from one of our guys who was hands on with all the following kit:

• Surface Pro 2 battery life is 7 hours with aggressive use, not lab fudging of figures
  • Storage options will be 64, 128, 256 and 512GB SSD. Price for 512GB is expected to be $1,500.
  • Memory options include 8GB. Unsure if 4GB and 8GB offered or just 8GB.
  • New keyboards are backlit
  • Battery keyboard is confirmed, adds 3 hours to Surface Pro 2 life. This means it's probably a 20w/h battery or thereabouts. Price is $199 if I recall.
  • New Surface RT is called Surface 2, is 3 times as fast as Surface RT and has 1080p screen. Unsure if same screen from Surface Pro or lower spec.
  • New dock fits both Pro and Pro2. Uses side clamps which hook up to power, DisplayPort, and USB 3.0. Dock therefore includes Power, USB 3.0 ports, Ethernet, Display out.

CrippsCorner

I work for a major MS partner and have this info from one of our guys who was hands on with all the following kit:

• Surface Pro 2 battery life is 7 hours with aggressive use, not lab fudging of figures
  • Storage options will be 64, 128, 256 and 512GB SSD. Price for 512GB is expected to be $1,500.
  • Memory options include 8GB. Unsure if 4GB and 8GB offered or just 8GB.
  • New keyboards are backlit
  • Battery keyboard is confirmed, adds 3 hours to Surface Pro 2 life. This means it's probably a 20w/h battery or thereabouts. Price is $199 if I recall.
  • New Surface RT is called Surface 2, is 3 times as fast as Surface RT and has 1080p screen. Unsure if same screen from Surface Pro or lower spec.
  • New dock fits both Pro and Pro2. Uses side clamps which hook up to power, DisplayPort, and USB 3.0. Dock therefore includes Power, USB 3.0 ports, Ethernet, Display out.

Does the dock include a keyboard? I guess not if it goes round the side... kinda a shame as they could have had the keyboard be bigger. Sounds kinda ugly but I guess we shall wait and see.

kgneo

Although this is officially the Surface Pro 2 - most tech sites agree it is more like Pro 1.2. And that is really what most of us have been waiting for anyway - and are ready to jump on as soon as pre-ordering is announced. Right or wrong, Microsoft is held to higher standards and is held to task for shortcomings considered "part of the growing process" for others - Microsoft is expected to significantly upgrade each version to be considered successful. Perhaps unfair but fortunately the Surface Team seems to be up to the task. While some were dreaming of a MUCH slimmer and lighter model, with LTE, etc., etc., - and the list goes on - and on. I think they were trying to convince Microsoft to build them an Android or Apple tablet instead of letting the Surface be a Surface. Of course successors will eventually have many if not all of these additions, but remember, this is really 1.2. And it's amazing.
And we will see the battery life continue to climb once the battery cover is released - as if 7-8 hours on a FULLY functional, power house in that small of a footprint (great looking too) isn't already amazing? And LTE? Why not a super integrated setting for the WP8 / Surface so they share internet seamlessly – utilize a settings option and wave the phone over the Surface to activate? I for one do not want another Data contract. Microsoft - get creative. Find a way...
Over the last year we have read the lists of "What the Surface Pro 2 Must have to survive" - guess what? They nailed it or at least got enough of it right to be proud of this device. This is exactly what many of us have been waiting to buy. Given the life cycle most of us give our devices - not the other way around - I would expect 2 years to be the average time we would want to have the same device. I would much prefer seeing devices last 4 years with major software upgrades (and even some hardware ones) being done to the current model. Don't get me started on the environmental impact of disposal electronics! But imagine what the Surface will be in 2016! Don't forget they have so much expertise suddenly in their grasp with the acquisition of Nokia.
With all of that said - a Surface Pro 2 triumph is not a given -or even an obvious path. Until everyone's uncle, brother and co-worker have one there will still be many who are unsure - who have heard too much anti-MS propaganda to make the jump. Unless it's EASILY AFFORDABLE. Keep the high price tags so people know they are getting a premium device and perhaps put out a Surface with premium upgrades to maintain the upscale image. But blitz the market with sales and bundled deals and (great idea (yours) - turn in your iPad and get $300 (not $200) off - and expand on this - what about Nexus and Galaxy Tabs? What about bundling the Lumia 1020 with a Surface Pro 2 with a combined price (subsidized by the carrier of course with a Surface/Lumia only reduced priced tethering plan) for $899? No, you won't make a ton of profits on this version - but from what I can read through the tea leaves, MS is in this for the long haul. Sell them that way. All Pro's MUST have a keyboard included. Want to have the app developers eager to create apps - make sure there a lots of users to buy those apps. As WIN8(8.1/9) and WP8(9) continue to move towards the goal of one ecosystem on all your devices it’s success is hinging on getting a critical piece of that hardware in as many hands as possible, NOW. Nokia seem to know how to sell and market products (the last few years certainly not their best example - but nonetheless a huge player in the sales and marketing department) Please - make the release count. Sell the SH*^ out of the Surface... Count your profits in a few years. And remember, you will always have your devoted fans but you will not have another chance like this - Surface re-energized, Nokia in the fold and WP market share growing – this one is yours to win.
Please - I dread the words -"well, once Surface 3 is released..."