What's new

Surface Pro 2 - Who's Waiting for It?

kgneo

I love flashy specs and demand some of them too but not sure what a new Pro 2 can't do or doesn't have that is not worth a small work around or two in order to use a beauty like that everyday. Of course its not perfect but neither was my first 2001 Audi. Did I not buy it? Thankfully myself and other people did because I really like my new A5.

I am waiting for Suface Pro 2 product announcement to see if it is going to be the right tablet for me. All I really care about (as this is my first tablet) is form factor (thickness) which I think should be less than 0.5", weight less than 2 pounds, and Battery time not less than 8 hours. A 3G or 4G wireless connectivity should be a great feature, full size SD is helpfull, and keyboard should be included in the price. A backlit keyboard is a defintive plus. Price point should be reasonably compatible with the market and profitable for MS. I think 128 SSD and 4GB of RAM should be fine for my needs. If I can ask for something extra it would be to include 1 one year Office 2013 with the device, this way people don't need to rush and buy MS office but will pay subscription the following year.

Please also have a look at the new Sony Vaio Pro 11 tablet, I think it is a perfect tablet except for the limited battery life (5 hours) and the keyboard is not backlit, but no one is perfect either. I am still looking forard to MS Surface 2 announcement next week.

demandarin

I am waiting for Suface Pro 2 product announcement to see if it is going to be the right tablet for me. All I really care about (as this is my first tablet) is form factor (thickness) which I think should be less than 0.5", weight less than 2 pounds, and Battery time not less than 8 hours. A 3G or 4G wireless connectivity should be a great feature, full size SD is helpfull, and keyboard should be included in the price. A backlit keyboard is a defintive plus. Price point should be reasonably compatible with the market and profitable for MS. I think 128 SSD and 4GB of RAM should be fine for my needs. If I can ask for something extra it would be to include 1 one year Office 2013 with the device, this way people don't need to rush and buy MS office but will pay subscription the following year.

Please also have a look at the new Sony Vaio Pro 11 tablet, I think it is a perfect tablet except for the limited battery life (5 hours) and the keyboard is not backlit, but no one is perfect either. I am still looking forard to MS Surface 2 announcement next week.

that sony one is nice. but I saw a very detailed hands on video of it. the way the keyboard attaches to tablet when not in use is very bad/unstable. its just like the surface pro pen. that keyboard attaches magnetically to the tablet by one little slot the same size or smaller than pro charger port. it hardly takes any effort or pressure to knock the keyboard off. the pro keyboard attach is a lot more secure and less likely to come off. whether opened using it or closed as a cover. even with that said, the sony design is very sexy.

but we already know, based on detailed rumors, surface pro 2 battery life will be better than that sony vio tablet by itself. that's not even adding in the battery keyboard cover. the sony will also likely cost more. for that little extra screen realistate,its not worth the extra price. plus waocom pen is better than ntrig. that pen is huge..lol I like to look at all devices. but my money is still on pro 2. although not the sleekiest design, it has the most solid and premium feeling design.

there are other players though entering this win8 tablet arena. im more interested in the 8in. market for more portability. to supplement my pro. I want a complete mobile solution. as my pro has become my main computer. my pro will run circles around my outdated dell dual core laptop...these mobile devices/ full pc tablets have come a long way. I love the feature of portability yet has lots of power.

unexpectedly, my pro has become my gaming device also. amazed at the quality pc games this device is capable of pushing with no issues. blows away gaming on my android devices.

regardless, other manufacturers have stepped their game up. This new surface pro2 and rt 2 better come hard to make it the preferable choice. theres a lot of other good devices coming out also.

that sony one is nice. but I saw a very detailed hands on video of it. the way the keyboard attaches to tablet when not in use is very bad/unstable. its just like the surface pro pen. that keyboard attaches magnetically to the tablet by one little slot the same size or smaller than pro charger port. it hardly takes any effort or pressure to knock the keyboard off. the pro keyboard attach is a lot more secure and less likely to come off. whether opened using it or closed as a cover. even with that said, the sony design is very sexy.

I agree about Sony's keyboard, I noticed also from the review videos on YouTube that it is not secured properly to the tablet, but the deal breaker for me really is the 5 hours battery life which is very short probably due to the cooling fan running most of the time to cool down the tablet components. What is really good though is the keyboard RF connectivity so you do not need to attach it to the tablet to type something. I have to admit also Sony knows how to design elegant computers and tablets that are very attractive.

I will wait to see what the new Surface Pro 2 will be and will definitely place an order if it will provide features or if it is a better deal than Sony. BTW I mistakenly mentioned the name of Sony's new tablet in my previous post, it is Sony Vaio Tap 11 not Sony Vaio Pro 11.

Krooked

I'll be buying the Pro 2 as soon as it's available. My current Surface Pro is my perfect machine except for one thing - battery life. I'm sure the next version will use Haswell and considering what Apple did to the Macbook Air battery life by switching to the new chips, I'm sure the next Surface Pro will make me very happy.

As far RT, I just bought a refurbished 64GB off eBay for $200 for the wife and kids to play with. I'm sure the next version will be better but they will be happy with this and the price was right.

^ This.

My SP is the first tablet that didn't require me to find a "work-around." So far I haven't found anything out there that can replace the awesomeness that is my SP, except an SP with a longer battery life.

fonzman78

Yep, I will buy the SP2 when it comes. Call me a SP troll or whatever you want but I really like the SP. I've had mine since day 1 and have no regrets. It's the only device it take with me on road trips or anywhere. So, yes, I will get the SP2 once it comes out.

D

Deleted member 10837

Claiming "fanless" looks nice on paper, but even if a a tablet has a fan, that doesn't mean it has to work all the time, or even if it's spinning, it can be inaudible most, or perhaps even all the time.

I think the advantage to fanless is the reduced weight and thickness more then the noise.

dellaster

Call me a SP troll or whatever you want but I really like the SP.

People who are happy and satisfied with their product tend not to comment on forums, skewing the atmosphere towards the unsatisfied and (true) trolls. Thank you for correcting the balance a little bit. :)

The Tap 11 is nice, and I'm still awaiting a real review, preferably from Anandtech, but if the SP2 goes on preorder before that I'll go with it. I know it will work out for me; the Sony is still a question mark. Besides, it'll be my primary work machine. I will buy the complete care thing and have the assurance of swift local replacement if something goes wrong. That's important.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

mitchellvii

Surface Pro 2 will cost what original Surface Pro cost. It will fail. MS does not learn from their mistakes. Looks the same, performs he same with slightly better battery life. This isn't Surface Pro 2 its Surface Pro 1.1.