What's new

Surface Pro 2 - Who's Waiting for It?

dellaster

The success or failure of Surface affects me not one whit. I am neither an MS employee nor stockholder. As long as Microsoft continues warrantee support on the SP2 I purchase I do not care how it fares in stores or popularity contests. It is not a fashion statement, for me, nor a status symbol for which to gain praise from my peers.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

Arun01

Kinda off topic for a second here guys but do any of you use your pro while it's charging? Does it continue to charge while it's being used? I'm looking to get a surface pro 2 but if the sp2 doesn't come with substantially more battery life then I'll get a surface pro. Thoughts?

demandarin

Kinda off topic for a second here guys but do any of you use your pro while it's charging? Does it continue to charge while it's being used? I'm looking to get a surface pro 2 but if the sp2 doesn't come with substantially more battery life then I'll get a surface pro. Thoughts?

The charger on the pro is actually very high voltage. I forgot how much. But they made it enough so that it can be used while its charging and still charge up fast. I used it p,ugfed up alot. When its plugged up, I usually always leave it in high performance mode. It still charges up fast despite what im doing on tablet whole its charging.

I read about the possibility that Microsoft isn't going to mark down devices any cheaper than it is now for 1st. Generation. They plan to sell it along side new models. The pro, before rr markdowns, sold more than rt models. So its going to be hard to find the crazy deals on pro like there has been for et versions on eBay. For example I just purchased and acquired a manufacturer refurbished 64gb Surface RT for only $249. You still get the same 1ur. Warranty. Its a great device also and very surprised how then and light and snappy it is. Of course it doesn't have the horsepower like the pro bit that's the tradeoff. Od still rather have a pro bit if I only had an RT, I know od still love it. It has great battery life.

With that said, you only have 3days to go. Wait till after MS announcement to see if you want a new model or 1st. Generation. Thing is the first pro is a beast. Only drawback is battery life. With new battery cover, it will add a decent amount more battery life to device. Ove read new Haskell will give it at least 7hrs. With heavy usage. Add in battery cover and your looking at possible 10+ hours on new pro. Probably like 8-9 hours on 1st generation pro. I've gotten over 6hojrs of usage on my pro. With heady usage. No gaming. As gaming will always drain faster.

I love my current pro. I even just now took it out of its case to get that premium feel. Although thicker than RT, its still lighter and thinner than most ultra books. I have a feeling MS will surprise people come Monday. Just wait n see.

machistmo

I hope the internal rechargeable battery is user replaceable.

Cupcake, cupcake... While I am with you 110% in wishing, see the teardown of the Surface Pro1 below. Just how much is an Imperial Duckload?

UuIRwits3D2wI46n.medium
QuljQQoGGrtdASJh.thumbnail

UuIRwits3D2wI46n.thumbnail

[h=3] Edit Step 4 [/h]

• We are starting to miss the old Surface, as we find a metric duckload of adhesive holding the screen in place.

• We tried every method we could think of to free the screen, including cutting the adhesive, to no avail. This Pro requires a pro method. Thankfully, we have one: we call it the Heat-It-Up-and-Poke-It-Til-It-Does-What-We-Want method. Luckily, we have the required heat gun and guitar picks ready.

mitchellvii

Only MS would be arrogant enough to basically re-issue a failed product with some small upgrades and charge the same price for it as their first failed product. What's new here? Haskell and a better kickstand? Even calling that a refresh is a reach.

Once again, Surface Pro could have been great but isn't. MS simply does not get it.

Last edited:

machistmo

Does the dock include a keyboard? I guess not if it goes round the side... kinda a shame as they could have had the keyboard be bigger. Sounds kinda ugly but I guess we shall wait and see.

The whole point of a dock is that you can use the tablet in 'desktop mode' with a standard keyboard and a monitor.

Only MS would be arrogant enough to basically re-issue a failed product with some small upgrades and charge the same price for it as their first failed product. What's new here? Haskell and a better kickstand? Even calling that a refresh is a reach.

Once again, Surface Pro could have been great but isn't. MS simply does not get it.

I fully agree while patiently waiting for the big product launch event next Monday. If Microsoft insists on launching more of the same and selling it as new product I am out. There are several other good options on the market currently and more to come in the next months. The rumors (yet to be vindicated) state the same keyboard and tablet design, same connectivity options, but more RAM and updated processor and less than 7 hours battery time and finally a docking stations for corporate people who decided that a 10" screen was good enough to do their jobs. If this is the case next week, then thank you very much Microsoft but I will pass on this to wait for Surface Pro 3 maybe.

The whole story for me should have been that Microsoft is not really into hardware business, but is trying to increase Windows 8 market share and user adoption of their Windows 8 ecosystem, this is where the real business is for Microsoft and where their revenue is created and should be defended. But if Microsoft think they can repeat their failure to launch adventure by adding more RAM to the device and keeping the same pricing then they really nailed the coffin for the Surface Pro and have not achieved their Windows 8 adoption goals.

Nuspieds

Well, the product is not yet released, so I'm not going to jump to any criticisms before I see/read about it, but I certainly agree with you: If the new version only means an updated CPU and a kickstand, count me out!

Without a doubt, they tested the waters with the SP; now it is time to deliver. I'm expecting something significantly slimmer, lighter, longer-lasting on battery power, faster and more expandable (i.e., true docking station support). So far, I'm sold on the SP, but if you come to me with the next version only having an improved CPU and kickstand, then that's when I start to look at alternatives.

hypokondriak

I love my SP128, but I'd rather sell the thing at the going used rate and put that cash plus the $200 a battery keyboard would cost toward a Haswell SP2. Get battery benefits without the bulk. I prefer to sell my hardware sooner though before it depreciates to nothing...

Kaldek

Does the dock include a keyboard? I guess not if it goes round the side... kinda a shame as they could have had the keyboard be bigger. Sounds kinda ugly but I guess we shall wait and see.

Not sure but there was something else I forgot. There is a thing that they are also going to sell which is called a chopstick (or similar). It clips onto the type/touch cover and connects the keyboard to the Surface via Bluetooth. I find that pretty neat. I am unsure if this is part of the dock package.

It's called a chopstick because it's long, thin and square around the edges which explains the name.

Also the Surface Pro 2 (and Surface 2 I think) definitely have a two-position kickstand. The other new position is 20 degrees, so it's like an iPad with one of those rolled-up covers underneath it. Much better when typing using the on-screen keyboard.

Last edited:

leahtt

Not sure but there was something else I forgot. There is a thing that they are also going to sell which is called a chopstick (or similar). It clips onto the type/touch cover and connects the keyboard to the Surface via Bluetooth. I find that pretty neat. I am unsure if this is part of the dock package.

It's called a chopstick because it's long, thin and square around the edges which explains the name.

Also the Surface Pro 2 (and Surface 2 I think) definitely have a two-position kickstand. The other new position is 20 degrees, so it's like an iPad with one of those rolled-up covers underneath it. Much better when typing using the on-screen keyboard.

Sounds great. I'm interested.

olimjj

I fully agree while patiently waiting for the big product launch event next Monday. If Microsoft insists on launching more of the same and selling it as new product I am out. There are several other good options on the market currently and more to come in the next months. The rumors (yet to be vindicated) state the same keyboard and tablet design, same connectivity options, but more RAM and updated processor and less than 7 hours battery time and finally a docking stations for corporate people who decided that a 10" screen was good enough to do their jobs. If this is the case next week, then thank you very much Microsoft but I will pass on this to wait for Surface Pro 3 maybe.

The whole story for me should have been that Microsoft is not really into hardware business, but is trying to increase Windows 8 market share and user adoption of their Windows 8 ecosystem, this is where the real business is for Microsoft and where their revenue is created and should be defended. But if Microsoft think they can repeat their failure to launch adventure by adding more RAM to the device and keeping the same pricing then they really nailed the coffin for the Surface Pro and have not achieved their Windows 8 adoption goals.

"Compared to the original iPad, major differences for the iPad 2 models include a thinner, lighter case design, faster processors, system-wide mirroring support, and the aforementioned cameras. They also support a new magnetic "Smart Cover" -- available at additional cost -- that protects the screen when not in use and automatically wakes up the iPad 2 when the cover is removed and puts it to sleep when the cover is attached."

It received RAVE REVIEVS
$829 (US) for the 64GB model

Last edited: