What's new

Surface Pro 2 Windows 10 issue

GordoRFC

Anyone having problems with exceptionally high CPU usage since upgrading to Windows 10? Currently my CPU is running between 65%-99% usage....sitting with a few web pages open and Outlook...nothing intensive at all.
Never had the issue with 8.1 but my device is now running extremely hot and battery drain is high too. I ran Windows update after installing Win 10 and there were firmware updates installed....but still suffering badly...any help much appreciated.

malberttoo

Anyone having problems with exceptionally high CPU usage since upgrading to Windows 10? Currently my CPU is running between 65%-99% usage....sitting with a few web pages open and Outlook...nothing intensive at all.
Never had the issue with 8.1 but my device is now running extremely hot and battery drain is high too. I ran Windows update after installing Win 10 and there were firmware updates installed....but still suffering badly...any help much appreciated.

Hi Gordo, what's the task manager or Resource Monitor say is hammering the processor?

OP
G

GordoRFC

Hi Michael

I once again ran Windows Update and rebooted, the CPU now seems to be more like it should be, but I feel it was the reboot rather than the Windows Defender Update that has calmed it down. At present with similar IE/Edge Outlook open CPU is sitting at 6% or less... which is about right.

Windows Driver Foundation Service was one that was hogging resources at times 25% or more and Service Host Local was spiking too.... other than that there was nothing to justify such a High Usage. I will keep an eye on it as that was the third time since upgrading that I have seen this, I will record process etc when it invariably will happen again.

One other thing I notice is that memory seems to be quite heavily utilized with 43% utilized with only Edge\IE and Outlook running...so far have not done anything memory incentive but 43% seems quite high for doing very little

Many thanks for your query... I will update as soon as it happens again.

Cheers

Gordo

malberttoo

Hi Michael

I once again ran Windows Update and rebooted, the CPU now seems to be more like it should be, but I feel it was the reboot rather than the Windows Defender Update that has calmed it down. At present with similar IE/Edge Outlook open CPU is sitting at 6% or less... which is about right.

Windows Driver Foundation Service was one that was hogging resources at times 25% or more and Service Host Local was spiking too.... other than that there was nothing to justify such a High Usage. I will keep an eye on it as that was the third time since upgrading that I have seen this, I will record process etc when it invariably will happen again.

One other thing I notice is that memory seems to be quite heavily utilized with 43% utilized with only Edge\IE and Outlook running...so far have not done anything memory incentive but 43% seems quite high for doing very little

Many thanks for your query... I will update as soon as it happens again.

Cheers

Gordo

If it was ME, I would take a "wait and see" approach for a short while, and not get too heavily invested in yet. If you continue to have the issue, a clean install may be in order; more times than not, it can be responsible for giving you back a civilized and well-behaved machine.

OP
G

GordoRFC

Thanks Michael

I will wait and see what happens, don't want jump to conclusions yet, I just remember the issues when my Surface Pro 2 was new with firmware drivers etc and power settings.... so will hang fire and see if it does indeed settle down in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for the sensible sound advice.....

Cheers

G

leeshor

I have to smile, just a little. Being in the computer business I can't even begin to count the number of times a customer has called with a problem, slow, quirky, not working right and the first thing I ask is when did you restart last? When I get a moment of silence I already know the answer is not recently. It is amazing how many problems get solved with a simple restart.

OP
G

GordoRFC

Leeshor
I appreciate your sentiment and know exactly what you mean, I too deal with clients in IT and know sometimes a simple reboot does cure a multitude of sins.
But the idea of Windows 10 and especially on a Surface Pro device is that it can handle things better and NOT have to be shut down 3 times in two days to cure an issue... while I appreciate that sometimes it does take a while for things to settle down ...Microsoft's history with Firmware updates for the Surface family has been quite poor.... many times fixes have broke more than they cure.... if there is an underlying problem highlighting it in the correct places... here for example... is the first step in it becoming common knowledge and lets the powers that be know there was a fix.... if in the next week I have to shut down 3 more times because of high CPU usage then hopefully others will have either come across it or found a fix... Surface devices should quite happily go to sleep and not require reboots too often... a sure fire sign there are issues is when there is a behavioural change... as I have highlighted.
Thanks for your comment.
Cheers

G

benjitek

I'm not seeing the issue with my SP2, which is running with a clean-install, not an update. Chrome running with 8 tabs and Outlook 2016 Preview, my CPU is idling at 2% and memory at 26% (8GB ram).

leeshor

@GordoRFC I'm dealing with this on 2 other forums where people are upgrading to Windows 10, one is a tablet site and the other is a discussion about upgrading PCs. On the PC side many of them have drive activity lights and it seems that after an upgrade there is a great deal of activity going on that is not apparent on tablets. Some of that activity is syncing, some general maintenance and some because of the rapid startup and shutdown functions of Windows 10 that continues with some maintenance after boot.

It would appear that if some of that maintenance is interrupted it may start over. In that PC discussion on another forum people have had to watch the disk activity closely and it's like waiting for a pot of water to boil.

I'm not saying this is your issue at all but it dose seem that there is enough impatience by some members of the forum to go around. It's a desire for instant gratification. ;)

I have the experience benefit of having upgraded a dozen PCs so far.

benjitek

I noticed a lot of drive activity on my Dell after installing W10 -- light was pretty much solid, occasionally flickering. I changed an update setting (Settings/Update & Security/Windows Update/Advanced Options/Choose How Updates Are Delivered) and changed the setting for 'Updates from more than one place' from 'Local PC's and PC's on the Internet' to just 'PC's on my local network' -- that made a huge difference.

superjer2000

I am having the exact same problem with my Surface Pro 2 that I just updated to Win10 a couple of days ago (in place upgrade, not clean). Two processes are running at around 25%+ each at idle (Windows driver something or other and System). My device gets very hot and the battery runs down in a matter of an hour and a half at best.

I think I'm going to revert to Win 8.1 until everything is a bit more "stable."

GoodBytes

If you check Get Windows 10 app, it states that the device is not ready for Windows 10, and that Microsoft is working with its partners to correct the problem. Windows 10 is not the problem. It is a driver problem. Many manufactures decided to wake up and start making their Windows 10 drivers AFTER the RTM build was select which was only a bit over a week before it was officially released., instead of doing like other manufactures and work on their drivers during Windows 10 Insider Preview program.