What's new

Surface Pro 2 Windows 10 issue

benjitek

A driver pack will be great, but it's good to know you can update now if you want too -- even do a clean install afterwards. IMHO, my SP2 is more usable with W10 than it was with 8.1.

snowb0l

After upgrading to Win10 my SP2 seemed to develop some issues with battery drain. But I think GoodBytes is right in saying SP2 is not quiet ready for Win10 and we will have to wait for drivers or other patches for it to settle down.

Rajziel

I have this issue.
I first upgraded when Windows 10 first came out and the device was unusable for the first day, but calmed down. However 2 weeks use was a consistent, overheating, fans on full for a browser, high battery drain affair.
I then reset the device back to factory settings, wiping everything clean and tried another upgrade to windows 10. The same thing happened and persisted for 3 weeks and i reverted to 8.1.
8.1 has had none of these issues and i thought i'd give 10 another try. After the upgrade and setup, i took the device of charge, and left it in sleep. In 4 hours of Sleep i had lost over 50% of battery.

Any ideas as to what is going on here? i have done several wipes and fresh installs now and it's begining to wear thin.

GoodBytes

Clearly driver issues, and maybe some OS bugs.
I think SP2 users are best to wait for the rumored Threshold 2 (TH2) update. Rumor says that it will come out in October or November, and big this massive update of improvements and bug fixes. Not really much on the new feature side of thing, just polishing. It won't be big enough to justify 10.1 status. So I guess you can see it as Windows 10 SP1, but not Windows 10.1.

Rajziel

It's odd that it affects a minority though.
The annoting thing is it makes my pro 2 next to useless. Hopefully this update comes before my next night shift!

ahinnegan

The issue is the igfxem module. (Intel graphics). the Microsoft certified driver has a known issue, fixed in later Intel divers. Unfortunately, installing the latest driver from Intel is far more difficult on this device than it has any right to be.

Rajziel

ahh so it's a case of wait for the update and no chance of getting round it.
Cheers for the info

At least i know it's not just my device and it's a known issue!

ahinnegan

Well, you can turn off all search for new drivers functions, download the windows 10 production drivers direct from Intel in zip format, unzip the drivers, uninstall the graphics adapter, scan for hardware changes, choose have disk, navigate to the unzipped folder's graphics drive, and choose Intel hd family... You might have to install it twice, I had some weird screen corruption on screen rotate the first time I did it. On the up side, if you do that, you get the whole Intel graphics control panel, which allows you to turn on cmaa for any games you might play, and turn off aa in the game, which works out to 2x aa with a smaller performance hit.

ggee668801

I found that unchecking the allow device to wake computer option in the power management tab of the mouse and keyboard devices in the devices menu resolves the power issue. Problem is you have to keep unchecking it every couple weeks. Other than that, not bad. Waiting on the SP4