What's new

surface pro 2 won't update

airlid

When I run windows update, I get Screenshot.png. Is anyone else having trouble? Any help? Thank you.

OP
A

airlid

The last thing that I installed was photo gallery from Windows live essentials. I have since uninstalled it but update still does not work. I have no other anti virus, proxy, etc... installed. I ran the Windows update troubleshooter and the end report shows update "not fixed"and no other information.

GoodBytes

Did you run the Windows Update Troublerhooter?
1- Start or (Win+Q on the desktop) -> type: Troubleshooting, and select: Troubleshooting
2- Click on the blue link on the panel that will show: Fix problems with Windows Update

You may need to restart the computer after to apply the fixes.

al2fast

Or you are going to have to end up doing a refresh or reinstall of win. I had a firmware update that wouldn't go in march and I just ended up doing the reinstall of 8 as I didn't have that much installed. Fixed it, no problems since.

OP
A

airlid

I just did a complete wipe and system restore (a very painful process, btw) and windows update still does NOT work! same problem, same error message.

GoodBytes

Can you go at a coffee shop or something and try?
I am thinking the problem is your router. Router configuration issue might be the problem, and malware for routers is not unheard off. In fact, security of home routers isn't great. Just recently manufactures started to pay attention, and that is after numerous security breach. Now I am not saying you have a malware on your router, it could be simply a configuration problem, but we can't exclude the possibility, hence why I suggested you go somewhere else for your wireless-goodness for ruling out the Surface Pro 2 problem.

OH, just remembered. Make sure your date and time is correct.
And be sure to click on "Check for update", and not "Retry".
If you installed any security software (beside what is included in Windows 8), please uninstall it, it might be blocking Windows update.

Another thing you try, and change your DNS server from your ISP, to Google's.
Google DNS are: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.
For more info: https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/

Last edited:
OP
A

airlid

Can you go at a coffee shop or something and try?
I am thinking the problem is your router. Router configuration issue might be the problem, and malware for routers is not unheard off. In fact, security of home routers isn't great. Just recently manufactures started to pay attention, and that is after numerous security breach. Now I am not saying you have a malware on your router, it could be simply a configuration problem, but we can't exclude the possibility, hence why I suggested you go somewhere else for your wireless-goodness for ruling out the Surface Pro 2 problem.

OH, just remembered. Make sure your date and time is correct.
And be sure to click on "Check for update", and not "Retry".
If you installed any security software (beside what is included in Windows 8), please uninstall it, it might be blocking Windows update.

Another thing you try, and change your DNS server from your ISP, to Google's.
Google DNS are: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.
For more info: https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/

Not exactly the right answer but the right direction. I thought since I could access the internet that every thing was working correctly. I rebooted the router and modem and guess what? Update is now working, I just hope it not a one time deal. Thank you to every one that played along.