What's new

Surface Pro (2017) + dock + Fall Creators Update = no boot with external monitor

wpcoe

I have Surface Pro (2017) plus the Surface Dock with two external monitors connected to the dock via DisplayPort. Before updating Windows to the Fall Creators Update it would boot up just fine, with all three displays having Windows desktops displayed in proper resolution and orientation.

Since updating to Fall Creators Update, I can't boot with the dock and monitors connected. It leaves a blank screen on the SP itself and apparently no signal is sent to the monitors as they automatically go into sleep mode. They only option is to force the Surface Pro to shutdown by holding the power button for 10 seconds.

I can get the system to boot with the dock connected as long as there's nothing plugged into its DisplayPorts.

I can get the system to appear properly (all three monitors working) by waiting until the SP boots and *then* connecting the dock, but it's an inelegant "solution" and it's super irritating in that it worked before the Fall Creators Update.

As a part of troubleshooting I discovered there was a new BIOS for the dock and I updated accordingly. Didn't make any difference with this issue.

Anybody else had this happen, or even better, found a solution?

OP
W

wpcoe

SCORE!

@Guilherme Bernardo: Thank you SO much!

I think I had seen that page, but didn't see how clearing the display cache would help, so skipped over it. BUT, it solved the problem.

An interesting thing I noted on that page (and this is why I think I might have seen the page before because I remembered it): "Remove the Surface Connector from your Surface, turn the connector over, and plug it in again." Again, that is not something I would have expected, but will keep in mind for any future issues that might pop up.

OP
W

wpcoe

PS: I clicked the "Mark Solved" link at the top, but the thread doesn't appear any differently on the thread topic list like I anticipated.

Ewan

I have had several issues using dual monitors (Extended display) with surface dock and surface display switched off.
I have two iiyma monitors connected via mini display ports.
Issues are external monitors do not come on on boot.
When you lock the surface you cant get back in as all three monitors stay off.
Only one of the two external monitors comes on.

The solution that works for me having installed the latest firmware for the dock is.
1) Switch the monitors off before booting the surface
2) Once booted switch the monitors on and the extended screen will transfer to the external monitors.
3) Before locking surface switch off external monitors so display reverts to surface.
4) Lock Surface
5) Unlock surface upon return
6) Switch monitors back on

OP
W

wpcoe

The solution that works for me having installed the latest firmware for the dock is.
1) Switch the monitors off before booting the surface
2) Once booted switch the monitors on and the extended screen will transfer to the external monitors.
3) Before locking surface switch off external monitors so display reverts to surface.
4) Lock Surface
5) Unlock surface upon return
6) Switch monitors back on

That's pretty much what I was doing until I cleared the display cache per the link in @Guilherme Bernardo's post above. Since then, leaving the monitors on when shutting down and starting the Surface Pro works properly. Have you tried clearing the display cache?