What's new

Surface Pro 2's Camera... A Joke!

CrippsCorner

What people forget is, the Surface Pro 2 is not Microsoft's flagship tablet, the Surface 2 is and that is where they invest the most R&D and that line will continue to get the most innovation...

So they think... but in all honesty I think most Surface users think otherwise. Are there any sales statistics to go by? Would make for interesting reading.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
So they think... but in all honesty I think most Surface users think otherwise. Are there any sales statistics to go by? Would make for interesting reading.

The haven't released stats for sales other than they sold almost $1 Billion in Surface Sales in Q2 FY14 (Oct-Dec). I believe the Surface 2 and Surface (formally RT) have out sold the Pro 2 just based on price. Both the Pro 2 8/256 and both models of the Surface 2 are continually sold out...

Honestly the Surface 2 is the better Tablet but the Pro 2 is the better Windows Computer, both serve different purposes...

Chfin

I don't mind that it's not 5 MP and just 720p. It's good enough for video conference, so it's ok. For taking better photo or document scanning, it's better to use phone or actual camera. This weighs 2 lb.

CrippsCorner

The haven't released stats for sales other than they sold almost $1 Billion in Surface Sales in Q2 FY14 (Oct-Dec). I believe the Surface 2 and Surface (formally RT) have out sold the Pro 2 just based on price. Both the Pro 2 8/256 and both models of the Surface 2 are continually sold out...

Honestly the Surface 2 is the better Tablet but the Pro 2 is the better Windows Computer, both serve different purposes...

I agree but I think the Surface line has a tougher time on its hands... it has the iPad to compete against. The Surface Pro line only really has other Windows tablets to battle against none of which have anything significant to offer. Either way, it's going to be interesting to see what the line up is in a few years time!

Guybrush

I bought my surface in November and until today I never used the retro camera just tested if it works... I don't think surface is the best instrument to take a photo, so I never care if the camera is a joke.. my phone is always with me to take photos ( much more comfortable use it than 1kg tablet ) and I use it also to share connection when not I'm not covered with WiFi. I understand everyone would love to have the best of his device (I wished too to have surface 2 camera ) but I'm thinking now... and I understand why surface 2 got an update while surface 2 pro not... guess for the weight of the device... anyway camera is enough good for scanning documents or a quick note.

NGC

I have the Surface 2 and was disappointed in Microsoft for going cheap on their more expensive Pro 2. But it is only one feature that I will live with compared to all the improvements as I move to the Pro 2.

GoodBytes

The thing is, I don't think Microsoft is making much money on the Pro 2 (hence why the keyboard is 130$, and the dock 200$).
Basically I am saying that Pro 2 margins are low. Why? Well, if we have a look, they are not cheeping out on anything. And the Pro 1, at it's current price is definitely selling it at a big loss. But in Microsoft eyes: better a smaller loss, than a full loss. In addition, its advertisement. More people will have in their hands, and therefor wonder what it is, and start looking into the Surface or Surface Pro products. In other words, advertisements. It's like the Nexus from Google. It was 200$, but it sold well, and it kept people talking about Android tablets, which help sell. A new kind of advertisement. It's similar to other manufacture offering deep discounts to their computers if you are an institution. If you have Dell PC's everywhere, it's advertisement, daily, for all it's institution and their students. Heck, Apple are giving them out for free, if they go exclusive Apple. Students gets used to MacOS, and the iPad, and then what they'll buy when they reach College? Apple! Works well for them. So it's a similar thing. That aside.

So first, we know that the Surface Pro 2 uses only high end SSD's, compact too, fastest DDR3 RAM that the CPU support, fast CPU, and everything are their low voltage version, which also cost more. High quality, quiet fans, copper heatinsk and heatpipe (has a gas inside), to help spread the heat to the heatsink, cooling off better the system. High quality batteries. Decent good IPS panel, Wacom digitizer, 10-point multitouch, magnesium casing, good speakers (for their small size), solid build quality, and of course R&D.

All this aren't cheap. Most laptops with similar specs, uses slower RAM speed, definitely not LPDDR3, just standard DDR3, cheapo SSD, just to say it has an SSD, and so on.