What's new

Surface Pro 3 & 4 Smart cover

Robert Beer

Hello, the one accesory that I find missing is a smart cover similar to the iPad. I don't use a keyboard and if I did I wouldn't think tucking it under the surface would be all that great.
I am going to design and possible manufacture such an item if I think there would be enough interest. I bought "not working" surface keyboard of eBay and will use that to make my proto type, once done I will post some picks. My plan is to start a kickstart project to start manufacturing them if the interest is there.
Your thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

I Have attached a rendering of what I have in mind.

Attachments

• SurfacePro_3_SmartCover.jpg
    SurfacePro_3_SmartCover.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 787
Last edited:

Plantje

To be honest I don't see the added value of a non type cover. What is smart about the cover? (Same question goes for iPad smart covers...) How much lighter and thinner will the non type cover be?

I use a type cover now and I am happy with it

OP
R

Robert Beer

Lol I agree about the term smart... guess it refers to the fact it puts the tablet in sleep mode when closed, The main purpose would be cost savings, a Microsoft surface type keyboard costs in the $150 range this would only be about $50-$65 a significant savings if a protective cover is what your looking for and don't want or need a keyboard. It would be lighter and only slightly thinner. The other covers on the market are full wrap around ones that add significant thickness to the over all device.

Plantje

I agree, that the wraps are complete overkill.

I won't be buying one, but that doesn't mean no one is interested. Let us know what your findings are! Good luck!

Wevenhuis

In all my years of owning a surface from first gen tot fifth gen I've needed a type cover. It's just part of the design and type cover and surface just work together. Windows 10 OS is still more desktop than tablet and the type cover will always be convenient. There is, in my experience, no value in a cover without a keyboard. It's also a waste of use of the port.
Ideas that have been implemented:
-a touch cover for gen 1& 2 surface device. a slimmer, touch based, keyboard, almost a smart cover with keyboard just in case. There is a steep learning cuve.
-a power cover: a type cover with integrated battery for more juice.
-a dj cover: a cover with touch keys in a DJ layout for dj's.

Other ideas (I think) you could try for a smart cover:
-touch cover for photo editing
-touch cove for video editing
-type cover with bluetooth support
-slim e-ink e-reader cover with ink-annotation support. connection would allow file transfers for selected documents for reading. advantage would be reading without compromsing more latent battery use when reading and annotatingdocuments on the go from a suface screen.

OP
R

Robert Beer

I agree my idea isn't for everybody, but a lot of us surface user only use it in tablet mode and are out and about with it more so than sitting on a desk. Thats why we need a good but inexpensive alternative to the type cover to protect that expensive to replace screen. Your suggestions have given me another thought... a flat key cover like the original covers but programable with an overlay for specific programs, i.e.: DJ pro, adobe premier

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Personally, I wouldn't go near one for $50-60. For what it is, which is basically a screen protector, I'd expect to pay about $10/£10. I also fail to see the point in maing it "smart", even if it is just a couple of magnets. even with my typecovers I still just press the power button as windows still doesn't seem to be able to work out it needs to go to sleep 100% of the time.

OP
R

Robert Beer

Surface cover.jpg
I made a cover using a defective surface pro 3 type cover i bought on eBay cheap, I removed all the keys and the pins on the smart connect. I then filled the void where the keys where with a thin piece of high density foam (often used to protect mobo's in the box) and then covered the whole thing with sticky backed thin felt from amazon (used in craft projects). I have attached a picture, sorry its so blurry but you get the idea. Total cost under $25 dollars.

OP
R

Robert Beer

simple, rocket dock for the dock, moved task bar to the top, classic start as start menu instead of tiles. Im a mac user so this made more sense to me its a layout I'm used to.