What's new

Surface Pro 3 and wireless ac

ctitanic

I'm still enjoying my Netgear R7000, I did need to disable external IPv6 because of a conflict with Comcast's implementation of IPv6 in our area...

And what's the problem with IPv6?

I have it unable in my Asus and I have not noticed anything wrong.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
And what's the problem with IPv6?

I have it unable in my Asus and I have not noticed anything wrong.

There was a bug in the previous Firmware on the Netgear R7000 that couldn't give a proper ACK to the Comcast IPv6 Configuration Service so the internet connection would reset every 5 to 10 minutes, it looks like it fixed in the latest Firmware though....

Yes it is. Not sure I understand your point. You must have a router capable of Broadcasting on the AC protocol to use your SP3 AC network capability. Of course you can still use a N band only router. albeit with lower throughputs

my bad, misread the first post... shm! thought it said not.... but it's "now"! A mind is a terrible thing to waste!!!!!

OP
D

DanL

my bad, misread the first post... shm! thought it said not.... but it's "now"! A mind is a terrible thing to waste!!!!!

No problem. I do it all the time. I was just debating on keeping the R7000 I bought last night or waiting 2 weeks for Netgear's newer AC Router.

No problem. I do it all the time. I was just debating on keeping the R7000 I bought last night or waiting 2 weeks for Netgear's newer AC Router.

Since you got it from best buy, why don't you just use it for 2 weeks, return it and then get the one you want? This way if there is any problems with that router, or if someone has questions abut it, you can share your hands-on knowledge. I always do that with best buy since I'm a elite plus member, I get 45 days with a product before I decide to keep it or return it. I did it so much the last year that they banned me from returning a anything for 90 days. I suffer thru that time. Hence the Name TechGod.

OP
D

DanL

Since you got it from best buy, why don't you just use it for 2 weeks, return it and then get the one you want? This way if there is any problems with that router, or if someone has questions abut it, you can share your hands-on knowledge. I always do that with best buy since I'm a elite plus member, I get 45 days with a product before I decide to keep it or return it. I did it so much the last year that they banned me from returning a anything for 90 days. I suffer thru that time. Hence the Name TechGod.

Jeff already has excellent knowledge with the R7000. From what I'm reading the R8000 is geared more to crowded households, which I don't have to deal with so maybe not necessary for my situation.

CaptainJLPicard

I run the netgear nighthawk. Waiting to purchase the 512gb i7 4650u version of surface pro 3. The netgear nighthawk works well for streaming media from an external usb 3.0 HDD. It has worked well as an overall router other than the range seems limited to about 75' horizontal distance, and about once a week it needs power cycled.

Now that we have a device with wireless ac capability is anyone considering upgrading to a new ac router?

If I remember right Jeff (jnjroach) has one of the new Netgear Nighthawk routers. That's the one I've been looking at. Anyone using one of these?

OP
D

DanL

I run the netgear nighthawk. Waiting to purchase the 512gb i7 4650u version of surface pro 3. The netgear nighthawk works well for streaming media from an external usb 3.0 HDD. It has worked well as an overall router other than the range seems limited to about 75' horizontal distance, and about once a week it needs power cycled.

Welcome to the forum Captain. I've been reading about the power cycle thing over at the Netgear forums. Some of the posters are claiming better stability with the DD-WRT firmware rather than the latest Netgear. Thanks for the input.

diamond.g

I have an Apple Airport Extreme with AC support. Oddly enough I can't seem to get any of my AC compatible devices to connect at AC speeds. It could be due to me bridging my network with a non-AC compatible Airport Extreme.

holsen

Now that we have a device with wireless ac capability is anyone considering upgrading to a new ac router?

If I remember right Jeff (jnjroach) has one of the new Netgear Nighthawk routers. That's the one I've been looking at. Anyone using one of these?
What do you mean "Now that we have a device with wireless ac capability is anyone considering upgrading to a new ac router?"
I just bought the new TP-Link Archer AC3200 and it works beautifully with every device on my Network except my 2 SP3s. Yes, it connects to the either of the 2 5Ghz AC Bands and it connects to the internet on both of those bands. But try to access the router control panel on the 5Ghz band - no chance and moving files around my network is painfully slow. However, using the same router when I manually set this piece of crap Marvell Avastar Network adapter to 2.4Ghz only everything works fine.

Just a few moments ago I set the Marvell back to 5Ghz and the system showed me a connection speed of 780. then I took a 335 MB file off my NAS and tried to move it to my desktop (It took 1 hour 35 minutes) 780 mbps my rear end. Then I set the card to 2.4 and the system showed me a connection speed of 144 mbps. I took the same file and moved it from my NAS to Desktop and it took all of a minute.

As far as I can tell we dont have a fix for the AC Problem. Just nice looking numbers when connected to the net. The real test is tryong to move files and this is still useless.

If someone has found a solution I'd be grateful