What's new

Surface Pro 3 + ASUS MB168B+ portable monitor = Ultimate Road Warrior Productivity

CrazyT

I just ordered the ASUS MB168B+ portable monitor and it should get here by the time my SP3 comes in. While the larger 12" screen is an improvement, I'm still worried it won't be good enough to work on for 8 hours a day. My biggest complaint about the SP1 was the screen size. But with the portable monitor, I don't have to worry about the screen size anymore and I get dual monitor. Sure, it's extra weight but productivity should increase tremendously.

Surface Pro 3 + keyboard = 2.4 lbs
ASUS MB168B+ = 1.76 lbs, 15.6", 1920x1080

So dual monitors anywhere at anytime and only carrying around 4.16 lbs! That's the same weight as most 15.6" laptop!

Last edited:

beq

Whoa that looks good. The product page doesn't mention IPS, so does it use a TN panel? Did you buy from Amazon or elsewhere?

OP
C

CrazyT

Looks good... what light/portable/bluetooth keyboard and mouse did you have in mind?
The Type Cover 3 adds 0.64 lb to the total weight. But since I refuse to pay $130 for that thing, I got the Microsoft Sculpt Mobile Keyboard instead.

Whoa that looks good. The product page doesn't mention IPS, so does it use a TN panel? Did you buy from Amazon or elsewhere?
From the reviews, I think it's a matte TN screen. The majority of the reviews say it's a good screen with good color. So crossing my fingers there. I ordered it this morning from that page. There was 3 left in stock when I ordered.

mcsenerd

I don't know... That's a TN monitor and in my experience, they're far from ideal. I had a portable TN USB powered monitor before and it was "ok", but I quickly tired of the poor viewing angles, lack of color accuracy, low brightness, and more. I sold it quickly on FleaBay and then picked up one of these. Sure, it's a bit heavier than the ASUS you mention, but it's 10 point touchscreen as well, and it's an IPS display. While it's not "quite" as bright as the SP2 screen at full brightness...it's pretty close to my naked eye. Plus the colors are great and it's got HDMI and VGA input capabilities. I just use a cheapo MonoPrice DisplayPort to HDMI converter and have never had a problem with it. The monitor fits in my 16" laptop backpack while my SP2 fits in the tablet pocket with the type cover attached. It's been a godsend to me in hotels and at all-day customer visits. I'll provide some pics and stuff later when I get a chance.

beq

picked up one of these. Sure, it's a bit heavier than the ASUS you mention, but it's 10 point touchscreen as well, and it's an IPS display. While it's not "quite" as bright as the SP2 screen at full brightness...it's pretty close to my naked eye. Plus the colors are great and it's got HDMI and VGA input capabilities. I just use a cheapo MonoPrice DisplayPort to HDMI converter and have never had a problem with it. The monitor fits in my 16" laptop backpack while my SP2 fits in the tablet pocket with the type cover attached. It's been a godsend to me in hotels and at all-day customer visits. I'll provide some pics and stuff later when I get a chance.
Interesting product, thanks.

So from what I see this GeChic product isn't a (DisplayLink) USB monitor. It's an HDMI monitor, but also uses a USB connection for the 10-point capacitive touch input as well as optional power source (it also has a DC-in port for alternative power supply). Supports Windows and Android, but otherwise you can connect this as a plain HDMI monitor.

Per Laptop mag, the Asus MB168B+ (15.6" TN) is 14.9 x 9.26 x 0.26 inches at 1.6 lbs (15.25 x 10.75 x 0.7 inches at 2.6 lbs inside its case).

Whereas the GeChic On-Lap1502I (15.6" IPS touch) is 16.94 x 9.78 x 0.39 inches at 2.98 lbs, not including its stand.

The Asus spec states <5W "typical" power consumption which Laptop mag claims is already too much for some computers to supply via a single USB port (they had to purchase a USB Y-cable to draw power from a second port, though the SP2 obviously only has one USB port).

The GeChic is bundled with a 5V 2A (ie. 10W) power supply, which is iPad-charger territory. If I had to guess, some computers may not be able to supply enough power even from two USB ports in parallel? If using with the SP2, I guess we have to use the alternative power supply via the DC-in jack?