What's new

Surface Pro 3 Battery Replacement Changes?

Here's the ACCC on extended warranties:
Suppliers risk breaching the law if they:
-put undue pressure on you or use unfair tactics to get you to buy an extended warranty
-mislead you into paying for the rights that you already have under the consumer guarantees.
Warranties | ACCC

Here they are on warranties (note the term 'reasonable time')
Warranties are separate from your automatic consumer guarantees. The consumer guarantees which apply regardless of any warranties suppliers sell or give to you, apply for a reasonable time depending on the nature of the goods or services. This means consumer guarantees may continue to apply after the time period for the warranty has expired.
Warranties | ACCC

And here are the consumer guarantees:
Consumer guarantees | ACCC

A definition of 'reasonable time' is a little more difficult. The ATO say the effective life of a laptop is 3 years. See page 219:
TR 2013/4 - Income tax: effective life of depreciating assets (applicable from 1 July 2013) - Preamble (As at 26 June 2013)

Microsoft support seem to recognise this. My SP2 shows warrantied to 2016

Bazzer

Microsoft I would assume would just replace the surface with a new one if battery failed under warranty. Their pricing after warranty is so you just buy a new surface. Knowing the pro is clued together would you want them pulling it apart? That at least makes the RT a good buy Screwed back so it could be changed. Pity they did not follow thru on a similar case design for the Pro.

Saul

Microsoft I would assume would just replace the surface with a new one if battery failed under warranty. Their pricing after warranty is so you just buy a new surface. Knowing the pro is clued together would you want them pulling it apart? That at least makes the RT a good buy Screwed back so it could be changed. Pity they did not follow thru on a similar case design for the Pro.

Seeing as MS offer a battery replacement service for it, apparently they've deemed it not "that" hard to take apart...
I'll wait for iFixit's assessment before making any claims about how good/bad it is to dismantle compared to prior Surfaces, or comparative form-factors.
Going by past Surfaces & similar form-factors I'm not expecting it to be great in that respect, & it's not surprising really.

Last edited: