What's new

Solved Surface Pro 3 Blank Screen

matthab

Morning/Afternoon all,

I have a 2 week old Surface Pro 3 which I have so far really loved. Now the tablet has now started behaving really weird.

If I move the tablet or move the keyboard back the screen will go off. The tablet will work as normal (you can hear the music playing etc). If I press the unlock button it sometimes may come back, sometimes it will not finally doing random combinations of things will bring it back. I have managed to get it to do it in the BIOS menu, so it rules out a Windows 10 issue.

The annoyance here is I am now on a 2 week honeymoon in the US (Originally from UK), any one know of a simple reason why its doing this?

Matt

Last edited:

leeshor

Welcome to the forum Matt

I moved your post to make it clear you are on Windows 10. There may be an app interfering with Windows but the only way to rule out hardware is to do a refresh or a reset on Windows. If you do a reset and it still fails to work properly it would be a warranty issue.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since it still does it after entering the Bios and restarting it seems the only recourse is to RESET to factory settings.
If that doesn't clear it then it's probably a hardware issue.

On a device that was upgraded from Windows 8.1 this would take it back to 8.1 also. There are three menu options
Keep my files, Remove everything, and Restore Factory settings.

on a device that came with Windows 10 I would assume there are only two choices but I'm not sure of the wording (as I don't have one) it might be a combination of remove everything and restore factory settings.

OP
M

matthab

Just to update you all. This morning I turned it on and the screen was flickering and had basically died.

I took it to the Microsoft store in New York where the guy reproduced it, did his checks and said it was a hardware fault. He offered to replace it there and then which considering I need the device for another 2 weeks was gratefully received. I wiped my machine and gave it over and he handed me a new tablet.

At the moment all is working well again. Shame |I can't do that in the UK.

leeshor

Lucky you were here and not there, under the circumstances. Glad to hear you got a resolution.