What's new

Surface Pro 3 crowned as the fastest tablet, followed by the iPad Air 2 and Nexus 9

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
tablet-speed-test-infog.png

The iPad Air 2 runs on a beefed-up version of Apple's screeching A8chipset, and has been decimating the mobile tablet competition in terms of sheer speed and synthetic benchmark scores. Apple even went as far as presenting it to be “as powerful as many personal computers,” and rightfully so.

It is still not as fast as Microsoft's latest Surface Pro 3 tablet, it seems, as the cross-platform Geekbench testing returned 5069 points for the Surface Pro 3, and 4046 for the iPad Air 2 - a pretty significant 20% boost for the Windows-based slate. Granted, the Surface Pro 3 tested is the middle-of-the-road version with a Core i5 silicon, but that's still desktop-grade processor, explaining why the Microsoft tablet went for gold here. Despite carrying a 12" QHD panel, the Windows slate manages to achieve about 9 hours of battery life on a charge, or as much as the iPad Air 2.

Continue Reading @: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Surf...ollowed-by-the-iPad-Air-2-and-Nexus-9_id70594

benjitek

Would be more telling if the comparison were more PC-tablet vs PC-tablet oriented. Even a regular Surface 3, although not exactly. If it was still being produced, the RT in this comparison would seem more appropriate...

jrioux

(The iPad Air 2) ...is still not as fast as Microsoft's latest Surface Pro 3 tablet, it seems, as the cross-platform Geekbench testing returned 5069 points for the Surface Pro 3, and 4046 for the iPad Air 2 - a pretty significant 20% boost for the Windows-based slate...
For those who are not math-challenged, the SP3 at 5069 scored 25% higher than the iPad Air 2 at 4046. I wonder how much higher the i7 SP3 scores?

Kif

Sorry for the pun, but it's really comparing apples and oranges. I have both and it's a big experience difference between using iOS and full blown windows.

jrioux

Sorry for the pun, but it's really comparing apples and oranges. I have both and it's a big experience difference between using iOS and full blown windows.
Wouldn't comparing apples to watermelons be a more accurate analogy? :)