What's new

Surface Pro 3 display stopped working

Deihmos

I have had the Pro 3 for a while now and the display has suddenly died. Has anyone experience this before? Do you think Microsoft will fix it or give me some kind of credit towards an upgrade?

OP
D

Deihmos

Not likely, @Deihmos . Sorry your screen died. Could be a driver issue. Can you boot up and use an external monitor?
Highly unlikely that it has anything to do with a driver. I don’t get the surface logo or anything. It worked with an external monitor and I did a full reset.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Do you feel it booting up? Do you have evidence that it runs, but only the display does not work?

OP
D

Deihmos

Yes it runs. Works fine with external display. The touchscreen still works but no display.​

Last edited:

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I recommend you

1) Prepare a UEFI bootable USB of Windows 10 in case of emergency, from the "Create Windows 10 installation media" section of Download Windows 10 if you do not already have one.

You can also find this on your Surface Pro 3 by searching for "Recovery Media Creator".

2) Open (search) Device Manager and remove your current Display adapters and the Surface Display monitor. Then reboot.