What's new

Surface Pro 3 Dock with Surface Pro 4?

kozak79

I can't find anything that says it will work. Some mention of a new improved Dock, but will the old one work? They old keyboards will work...

I have a dock for my current SP3, considering upgrading to i7, 8gb, 256gb SP4 and need to know if dock will work.

cmergel

I have not seen any close up pictures of the SP4 and the new SurfaceConnector area or plug. It looks similar from a far.

bluegrass

I read that the power connector is the same. If it's in an identical place and the data lines that are in the power connector or the same then it will work. I think they didn't go into enough detail at the event that would answer question like this. They should have spent a little longer to tell us about some of the subtleties like this. I feel like the event gave us a summary and not the information you need to make wise decisions on what people might want to purchase.

Tsurugaya

The event is tailored to excite the minions, not as a consumer Q&A but Panay did mention that it will slide into the existing SP3 dock just fine despite being almost a mm thinner.

Kif

Tom Warren tweeted the answer last night. The SP4 will work with the SP3 docking station but a spacer is needed. The spacer will be free from Microsoft store.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The fun part of all of this is MS never explained what the technology in the Power Adapter is, but we know it pushes PCIe, USB and DisplayPort all through that connector and can drive many pixels through it....labeling it would require licensing fees but call it a proprietary power/docking port is a different story;)

r0b123

Is this the same dock that we're talking about -> Microsoft Surface Tablets

The proprietary port/docking port is now called "SurfaceConnect" port with the cable. I really like this and will be getting one or two to go with my SP3 and soon-to-be SP4.

bsnguy

Tom Warren tweeted the answer last night. The SP4 will work with the SP3 docking station but a spacer is needed. The spacer will be free from Microsoft store.
But... my store never heard of it and after about ten minutes of looking around, took my name and number as "that shipment has been delayed."

Whatever that means... it does work; just doesn't sit right and takes a moment to line up and get situated.