What's new

Surface Pro 3 Dock with Surface Pro 4?

Kif

But... my store never heard of it and after about ten minutes of looking around, took my name and number as "that shipment has been delayed."

Whatever that means... it does work; just doesn't sit right and takes a moment to line up and get situated.

I blame Tom Warren!

mikejg

The SP4 does not fit perfectly into an SP3 dock. The SP4 has a shallower angle on the sides. This makes it wider at the back and that keeps the sides of the dock from closing all the way. However the connector does line up and so the dock works fine and holds the SP4 securely, it just doesn't fit like a glove. It works even without the free spacer.

bsnguy

It works without the spacer... until you knock it. My keyboard stopped responding so I needed to disconnect/reconnect it. When I tried, the SP4 dislodged from the dock pretty severely.

We need the spacer :)

fletch33

threw mine in my dock today for work and with the keyboard removed as i always did with my SP3 and did not experience any issues. if a spacer is needed and free i will certainly apply it but my 2 additional monitors and logitech keyboard and trackpad all worked as expected.

spinedoc77

SP4 works just fine in the SP3 dock, in fact it works better than in the SP4 dock. I have both and did some extensive testing with them. SP4 in SP3 dock will handle 2 4k monitors at 60hz. SP4 in SP4 dock will only handle one 4k monitor at 60hz, I couldn't get the 2nd one to run plugged into the dock or into the SP4. Most likely something that will be corrected with drivers, but currently no go. Even using a SP3 with the SP4 dock was worse than using the SP3 with a SP3 dock in terms of driving 2 4k monitors.

Also the magnetic connector of the SP sucks, if you just look at it wrong you lose connection. I prefer the nice and rock solid connection of the SP3 dock.

bsnguy

The SP3 dock is a real dock; the new "dock" is a port replicator and I hate such things. The older dock was magnificent in how securely it held the SP3 and how easy it was to use.

Alas, the spacers are still not in stores;I've checked with MS support on this. They are willing to ship them to me. That's a deal if I can really get them. There is no ETA on when stores might have them as per MS support and my store. We'll see if that works; I'll report back if I ever get them and how long it took. They want $6 per spacer (I need three and they want to charge me $6 shipping for each... I'm promised three boxes :p).

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The SP3 dock is a real dock; the new "dock" is a port replicator and I hate such things. The older dock was magnificent in how securely it held the SP3 and how easy it was to use.

Alas, the spacers are still not in stores;I've checked with MS support on this. They are willing to ship them to me. That's a deal if I can really get them. There is no ETA on when stores might have them as per MS support and my store. We'll see if that works; I'll report back if I ever get them and how long it took. They want $6 per spacer (I need three and they want to charge me $6 shipping for each... I'm promised three boxes :p).
They are both real docks, they use exactly the same port - the Surface Connector, the difference the new dock is also a MST Hub...design is a preference, I like the new one because I can use my SP4 as a Tablet while connected to two monitors, can't do that with the old one....

bsnguy

They are both real docks, they use exactly the same port - the Surface Connector, the difference the new dock is also a MST Hub...design is a preference, I like the new one because I can use my SP4 as a Tablet while connected to two monitors, can't do that with the old one....

Semantics... nothing "docks" with the new thing; it just plugs into a connector with a cable.

I use my SP3 and SP4 with two external monitors every day with the old dock. The tablet has a port you can use while the port on the dock is used or you can daisy-chain them if your monitors that support that (I do both depending on my location and capabilities of the monitors). If you don't have daisy-chaining, then the new device is nicer as it has two outputs, but you can absolutely use two external monitors with the older dock by plugging in one cable (like you do with the new device, also, albeit a different cable).

Cheers

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Semantics... nothing "docks" with the new thing; it just plugs into a connector with a cable.

I use my SP3 and SP4 with two external monitors every day with the old dock. The tablet has a port you can use while the port on the dock is used or you can daisy-chain them if your monitors that support that (I do both depending on my location and capabilities of the monitors). If you don't have daisy-chaining, then the new device is nicer as it has two outputs, but you can absolutely use two external monitors with the older dock by plugging in one cable (like you do with the new device, also, albeit a different cable).

Cheers

Cheers
But you still can't use your Surface as a tablet in the old dock....I own both

bsnguy

But you still can't use your Surface as a tablet in the old dock....I own both

I get that. If you want to lay the tablet flat (or nearly so) then the old dock is not appropriate. Options are good! But I don't have a need for that so I prefer the sturdy simplicity of the older dock.