What's new

Surface Pro 3 - Excel - Touchscreen Keyboard

Gord Wedel

Hi I created several Excel forms for my Surface Pro 3 and would like to have the touchscreen keyboard launch automatically when I touch/click a specific cell. Can this be done? Is there a keyboard shortcut that I can use with some Excel code to get this working?

malberttoo

Hi I created several Excel forms for my Surface Pro 3 and would like to have the touchscreen keyboard launch automatically when I touch/click a specific cell. Can this be done? Is there a keyboard shortcut that I can use with some Excel code to get this working?

Hi Gord, welcome to the forum!

I don't think this can be done. As I understand it, the call for the on-screen keyboard in Win 8 and beyond, is not the same call as was used in previous OS's, and it does not work with Win32 apps, only with MUI apps. That's why the keyboard won't appear when you touch a text entry field (in Tablet mode) in, for example, Desktop IE, but it will automatically appear when you touch a text entry field in Metro IE.

That's what I seem to recall anyway. Hope it helps.

smar

Here's a pop-up keyboard hack I put together sometime back for desktop apps in Win 8.1 - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=49724189&postcount=58

Not perfect by any means, but it (mostly!) works in desktop Excel etc.