What's new

Surface Pro 3 Eye Strain, and how I got rid of it. BUYERS BEWARE!!

Ordnas

I went through a stage where the new macbook retina would cause instant eye strain and nausea so I sent it back. After that, any new screen would cause the same problems. Went for eye tests, doctors, etc etc. Eventually I settled on a product and persevered with the screen. Took about 2 weeks for my eyes and brain to adjust. Now I don't suffer with this problem anymore. Being a gadget/Tech geek this was actually devastating because I thought I was never going to be able to enjoy new technology again. Perseverance was the answer for me. Still can't work out what caused the problem in the first place as I never experienced anything like it before.

Speiro

Ever thought it just may because the default scaling/resolution is MICROSCOPIC and you're giving yourself a headache after 15mins of trying to read it?!:p

This was actually a part of what I was thinking when I returned the tablet, and that motivated me to get the R7 (15in). The only difference between Acer R7 and Surface Pro 3 seemed to be their sizes.

On the other hand, I don't stare at the small fonts of the window tabs, for example for a long time, and mostly I only read my own writing which would have similar sizes in all Note 10.1, Acer R7, and Pro 3.

Also, I wouldn't have similar problems reading even a paper book with even smaller font, so it is hard to say that the small fonts soley cause the problem.

Both R7 and Note 10.1 still cause eye strains if I had been working on it throughout the entire day. Hours of staring at a monitor is not healthful for my eyes, and it would be the same for anyone. (Maybe Kindle would cause less eye strains but one can't write on it). But with Pro 3 I was bothered within 15-30 min.

But it is not a headache. It is a tingling sharp disturbance only in the particular part of part of the eyes, like somewhere behind the "Lens" part of the eyes, and then I got red, swollen eyes when I still continued. I don't think I had any headaches while using the Pro 3

I can't tell whether the reasoning regarding the PWM actually works because I never tested at 100% intensity and I don't have the Pro 3 with me anymore. If the problem disappears when I use the tablet at 100% intensity, it was probably the PWM..

Speiro

I went through a stage where the new macbook retina would cause instant eye strain and nausea so I sent it back. After that, any new screen would cause the same problems. Went for eye tests, doctors, etc etc. Eventually I settled on a product and persevered with the screen. Took about 2 weeks for my eyes and brain to adjust. Now I don't suffer with this problem anymore. Being a gadget/Tech geek this was actually devastating because I thought I was never going to be able to enjoy new technology again. Perseverance was the answer for me. Still can't work out what caused the problem in the first place as I never experienced anything like it before.

Interesting.. I was thinking that the retina display shouldn't cause any eye strains...
I think I used Pro 3 more than 2 weeks, also throughout the most of the day...but I might be wrong since I don't know the exact dates of purchase and return..Perhaps I should have waited longer? But the new sensitivity to other computer screens was a bit scary to try more...

GoodBytes

I would like to reiterate that they are many possibility for headaches and red eyes and other issues. Dehydration, for example can be one. Some people also, for some reason, never blinks when looking at their screen, causing red eyes, and trouble seeing the screen. And many either health and medical issues. Just something to keep in mind.

Speiro

I would like to reiterate that they are many possibility for headaches and red eyes and other issues. Dehydration, for example can be one. .

I didn't know dehydration could cause more eye strains. It is a possibility. My sister is more sensitive to the tablet screens and she drinks less water. Thanks for letting me know! I want to go to the Bestbuy and see if it works. Haha.

GoodBytes

Hydration takes time. You have to drink more water for multiple days to start really see the effects, and we are all different.
Also, they are eyes related problem that you can be perfectly hydrated, but your eyes doesn't product enough tears. Allergies can play a part. Allergies affects with different side effects and at different levels. Dust allergy is also a thing.

So sadly, like I said, consult a health professional to really know the problem. But a possible indicator is that if you set the screen brightness to max, and despite being too bright the screen, you feel better, and it only happens on some devices or screens, then it could be that you are PWM sensitive. This isn't an exact rule, just a possible indication. There is no studies backing this rule that I know off.

I would experiment, try things, and read up on things related and see what you can try and judge.

maxx7

Hydration takes time. You have to drink more water for multiple days to start really see the effects, and we are all different.
Also, they are eyes related problem that you can be perfectly hydrated, but your eyes doesn't product enough tears. Allergies can play a part. Allergies affects with different side effects and at different levels. Dust allergy is also a thing.

So sadly, like I said, consult a health professional to really know the problem. But a possible indicator is that if you set the screen brightness to max, and despite being too bright the screen, you feel better, and it only happens on some devices or screens, then it could be that you are PWM sensitive. This isn't an exact rule, just a possible indication. There is no studies backing this rule that I know off.

I would experiment, try things, and read up on things related and see what you can try and judge.

Nothing to do with dehyrdation or dry eyes. This is a widespread problem. I have the SP2 and I'm, since 2 years, unable to use it at any other brightness level than 100% because of the PWM flicker. I get eyestrain and red eyes instantly if I set any other brightness. Now this same problem is in the SP4 i5 that I bought. I also the same PWM. Some review sites claim that there is no PWM, but is is just because their equipment that they use to measure is not sensitive enough. Believe me, I have been dealing with this problem ever since LED backlit displays arrived. And do realize that I have several devices that I have confirmed that do not flicker at all and cause zero problems.