What's new

Surface Pro 3 Flickering

khit

I've noticed that *maybe* after last week's updated I'm getting a noticeable amount of flickering in my SP3 - if I'm surfing or anything then there will be these split second blacking of the screen. Has anyone else noticed this recently ? Have there been any updates to video drivers etc. as this is getting a bit annoying.

mitchellvii

I notice the occasionally artifacting in random spots but the whole screen never goes black. It is very minor and not a concern for me at this point.

OP
K

khit

I have done multiple reboots and it doesn't appear to be linked to adaptive brightness - Im thinking seriously about doing (another) system refresh as Its coming on fairly frequently now and Im sure it had not been this way before the last patching.

Bandito

Before doing an entire refresh, I would try removing the video driver and letting it reinstall to see if that might correct the situation. You can do this in Device Manager.

OP
K

khit

so after refreshing twice I began to notice that the screen flickers more when Im moving the tablet around , especially if Im moving the kickstand back more than a few degrees or touching the center of the screen, in fact I can now press gently in the center and make the whole screen go black. This to me is appears more hardware than software and I think I should just exchange it. Ive never had to do this before on my previous surface but I did purchase MS complete, is there any type of advanced replacement so that I don't sit on my thumbs for a couple of weeks?

jimk

Hey Khit. Did you happen to find a solution or explanation for this issue? I'm having the same problem but, until seeing your thread, I couldn't find anyone else with the same problem. If I press certain spots toward the bottom center of the screen, the screen either flickers or goes black. If I move it a certain way, it goes completely black and I have a hard time getting it back.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the magnet in the keyboard damaging the part of the screen that it snaps onto.

jimk

Khit, It might be a long shot, but have you tried resetting and recalibrating your screen?

I can't speak for Khit, but I've factory reset and recalibrate and had no luck. Here is a video displaying the issue...

Surface Pro 3 - Touching Screen Turns Off Display: