What's new

Surface Pro 3 for university student

mtalinm

You might also consider the Surface 3 (non-Pro). I have both, and it is just thinner and lighter enough to be my device of choice unless I really need to do some high-end computation or need to plug into two external monitors. Other than that, Surface 3 is a champ and a quite a bit more natural in portrait mode, which I'd guess is how you would take notes in class.

OP
S

Semenick96

You might also consider the Surface 3 (non-Pro). I have both, and it is just thinner and lighter enough to be my device of choice unless I really need to do some high-end computation or need to plug into two external monitors. Other than that, Surface 3 is a champ and a quite a bit more natural in portrait mode, which I'd guess is how you would take notes in class.
Would that be able to handle one or two more displays? Nothing intense just different webpages or documents. Also is there any noticeable lag? I'm really looking for a smooth experience

Mikeyqp

I use it for taking notes. I'm a med school graduate (studying for the boards now) and let me tell you, the surface is INVALUABLE to my studies. If I some how had this when i first started, I would be so much more better off! I now encourage anyone, and everyone (ESPECIALLY students) to get a surface over any other laptop out there. I've never been so organized in my life and I'm already OCPD with my notes as it is (especially since I use to write in different notebooks for different subjects, now I just use OneNote). Anyways, that's my experience with the surface :)

OP
S

Semenick96

I use it for taking notes. I'm a med school graduate (studying for the boards now) and let me tell you, the surface is INVALUABLE to my studies. If I some how had this when i first started, I would be so much more better off! I now encourage anyone, and everyone (ESPECIALLY students) to get a surface over any other laptop out there. I've never been so organized in my life and I'm already OCPD with my notes as it is (especially since I use to write in different notebooks for different subjects, now I just use OneNote). Anyways, that's my experience with the surface :)
Which model do you use?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just finished my first year at uni. SP3 proved invaluable. Specifically, the pen and onenote. Such a great experience during lectures etc. Also saved me a boat load of money on printing costs, without the pen and onenote i'd have been paying over £5 a week just printing out lecture slides, let alone any seminar material etc. every penny counts when you're a student :) I bought the 128/4gb sp3 for the ability for some light gaming etc (and because the S3 didn't exist), but if i didn't want to play any games, then i'd be just as enthusiastic about the S3.

OP
S

Semenick96

Just finished my first year at uni. SP3 proved invaluable. Specifically, the pen and onenote. Such a great experience during lectures etc. Also saved me a boat load of money on printing costs, without the pen and onenote i'd have been paying over £5 a week just printing out lecture slides, let alone any seminar material etc. every penny counts when you're a student :)
Which model do you have?

mtalinm

Would that be able to handle one or two more displays? Nothing intense just different webpages or documents. Also is there any noticeable lag? I'm really looking for a smooth experience

You can plug in one external HD display. For two external displays, or an external 4k monitor, you need the Pro model.

I expected lots of lag but have not found that. It's quite smooth.