What's new

Surface Pro 3 fullscreen games in lower resolusion issue

lukas108

Hi

How do you solve an issue of playing games in lower resolution on Surface Pro 3? I can't get full screen in mode lower than native 2160x1440.

Any idea?

Thanks
Lukas

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
A little bit vague.

I've had no issue playing games on lower resolutions in full screen. My current game of choice runs at 640 x 480 in full screen.

OP
L

lukas108

Each game i run is being displayed without scaling to full screen. I see small view in native resolution and black border. I have no Intel HD properties option - "Windows Update" driver working now. Maybe I should install different drivers?

e61phlux

Seems solved with the latest Intel driver (15.36.7.64.3960) - at least with my surface (i5 / 8Gb / 256).
See this: https://communities.intel.com/thread/53259?start=15&tstart=0

After I installed the new driver, I created a custom resolution of 1440x960 @ 60 Hz in the Intel HD graphics control panel and set the option to scale the screen. Whenever I play Civ5 with touch enabled (DX11 version), I manually select the custom intel profile of 1440x960 @ 60 in the intel HD graphics control panel (right click desktop, choose intel graphics -> profiles). In Civ options I set the resolution for 1440x960 @ 60 (this is only done once), and I'm all set for gaming in full screen at lower resolution of 1440x960.

After gaming I right click desktop, choose intel graphics -> profiles and choose my profile for the full surface pro 3 resolution @ 2160x1440 @ 60 Hz.

OP
L

lukas108

Hi guys.
For now , i did the manual installation of Intel drivers from their website. Driver works and some games (Like Half Life 2) works fine on full screen (in every resolution) run from desktop with native resolution. But some games (like Watch Dogs) does not. If i want to run this game on full screen with lower resolutions i have to change system resolution. Should I use a tutorial proposed by surfdock?

surfdock

Lukas108, you can choose any system resolution you like but the options available from the factory will have black bars i.e. they won't take up the whole screen. The key advantage of following the tutorial or using the regkey hack is that it will allow you to choose lower system resolutions that do not have black bars on the top/bottom or sides - they are 3:2 aspect ratio just like the native screen rather than 16:9 aspect ratio. How the game chooses to render content on such a screen resolution is really up to the game, and if it still looks like crap, you need to provide feedback to the game developer. Most gamers use standard resolutions like 1366x768, 1600x900, or 1920x1080.

grumpy

Hi guys.
For now , i did the manual installation of Intel drivers from their website. Driver works and some games (Like Half Life 2) works fine on full screen (in every resolution) run from desktop with native resolution. But some games (like Watch Dogs) does not. If i want to run this game on full screen with lower resolutions i have to change system resolution. Should I use a tutorial proposed by surfdock?
This is a known problem with DX11 and the Intel drivers.