What's new

Surface Pro 3 Glass/possibly heat issues

Dennis Tian

I've recently purchased a Surface Pro 3 core i7 256 gb from a local Microsoft retailer, and in hopes of using it for college, I have begun putting it through its runs. I was testing how well of a note taking device and how well it dealt with programs such as Photoshop and games such as Civ 5. However, on the 3rd day of use, the day that I felt committed to keeping this as my primary computer for college, I noticed a faint circle on my screen during cleaning. I was first alarmed as Gorilla Glass 3 has a decent reputation of scratch resistance, but as I looked closer, I realized it was less of a scratch, and more of some kind of defect (can't really describe it). I can swear that there was no defect before this, as I have been victim to many defects in laptops prior, but this defect was new. It was near invisible when the screen was in use or clean, but when cleaner or dust was on the screen, it was quite apparent that there was something wrong. It kind of looked like a coffee mug stain on a table as some parts were faint, and other portions of the circle were very visible when cleaned. The area is easy to feel with the finger and especially the stylus. While writing, I could feel a slow down as I crossed it and it feels like a slight bump with my finger. Most concerning of all was it's perfect shape. It definitely outlined a perfect circle and I definitely have not used my SP3 as a drinks coaster. In fact, I haven't tested it outside or anywhere out side of my room, and I've been careful to keep it clean and in it's cover or in a pouch. After seeing this, I then looked for images online of what the interiors looked like, hoping to see a heat sink, but to no avail, as the heatsink/fan/cpu apparently is on the top (correct me if i'm mistaken) and my defect is just southwest of the middle of the screen. Due to this, I feel that this hybrid will not be able to stand the test of time if just a little gaming and photo-editing could cause a screen defect like this. I wasn't pushing the hybrid to it's max, but I speculate that there is a relation to heat due to this. If anyone could tell me as to why I am getting this issues, I would be most appreciative. If it is just me, maybe I'll give this device one more try.

p.s. It's pretty hard to take a picture of due to the reflective nature of the screen. I did my best, and will try to outline the issues. And this is truly tragic as I have just invested 2 hours into customizing everything, creating tile groups, and getting all of my programs on here.

Attachments

• DSC_0436-9.jpg
    DSC_0436-9.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 915
  • DSC_0428-8.jpg
    DSC_0428-8.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,397
  • DSC_0426-7.jpg
    DSC_0426-7.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 785
  • DSC_0423-5.jpg
    DSC_0423-5.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 838
  • DSC_0424-6.jpg
    DSC_0424-6.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 780
  • DSC_0421-3.jpg
    DSC_0421-3.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 835
  • DSC_0422-4.jpg
    DSC_0422-4.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 722
  • DSC_0418-2.jpg
    DSC_0418-2.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 798
  • DSC_0417-1.jpg
    DSC_0417-1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 901
OP
D

Dennis Tian

I wondered that, but it's slightly unlikely that it was already there as I checked everything in the beginning quite vigilantly.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
You ever see how they handle/put screens on in an automated factory?

Last edited:

sknoch

I believe I had this same exact issue. I purchased a i5 a couple of weeks ago and noticed the same thing. It looked like a water ring from a cup. No matter how much I cleaned it, it would not go away. When I took it to the Microsoft store, one of the first things I was asked is if I had used it as a coaster. Long story short, they just swapped it out for a new unit.

OP
D

Dennis Tian

I believe I had this same exact issue. I purchased a i5 a couple of weeks ago and noticed the same thing. It looked like a water ring from a cup. No matter how much I cleaned it, it would not go away. When I took it to the Microsoft store, one of the first things I was asked is if I had used it as a coaster. Long story short, they just swapped it out for a new unit.
Have you noticed a new coaster ring since then?

jtuck82

I've recently purchased a Surface Pro 3 core i7 256 gb from a local Microsoft retailer, and in hopes of using it for college, I have begun putting it through its runs. I was testing how well of a note taking device and how well it dealt with programs such as Photoshop and games such as Civ 5. However, on the 3rd day of use, the day that I felt committed to keeping this as my primary computer for college, I noticed a faint circle on my screen during cleaning. I was first alarmed as Gorilla Glass 3 has a decent reputation of scratch resistance, but as I looked closer, I realized it was less of a scratch, and more of some kind of defect (can't really describe it). I can swear that there was no defect before this, as I have been victim to many defects in laptops prior, but this defect was new. It was near invisible when the screen was in use or clean, but when cleaner or dust was on the screen, it was quite apparent that there was something wrong. It kind of looked like a coffee mug stain on a table as some parts were faint, and other portions of the circle were very visible when cleaned. The area is easy to feel with the finger and especially the stylus. While writing, I could feel a slow down as I crossed it and it feels like a slight bump with my finger. Most concerning of all was it's perfect shape. It definitely outlined a perfect circle and I definitely have not used my SP3 as a drinks coaster. In fact, I haven't tested it outside or anywhere out side of my room, and I've been careful to keep it clean and in it's cover or in a pouch. After seeing this, I then looked for images online of what the interiors looked like, hoping to see a heat sink, but to no avail, as the heatsink/fan/cpu apparently is on the top (correct me if i'm mistaken) and my defect is just southwest of the middle of the screen. Due to this, I feel that this hybrid will not be able to stand the test of time if just a little gaming and photo-editing could cause a screen defect like this. I wasn't pushing the hybrid to it's max, but I speculate that there is a relation to heat due to this. If anyone could tell me as to why I am getting this issues, I would be most appreciative. If it is just me, maybe I'll give this device one more try.

p.s. It's pretty hard to take a picture of due to the reflective nature of the screen. I did my best, and will try to outline the issues. And this is truly tragic as I have just invested 2 hours into customizing everything, creating tile groups, and getting all of my programs on here.

I honestly think this is a manufacturing defect with the oleophobic coating. I had an SP3 that had something similar to this. Mine wasn't a perfect circle but it had streaks in different areas that showed up with a lot of fingerprints or when you breathe on the screen. If you wipe it off they would appear to go away. They were still there though and you could feel them if you ran the pen across the screen. I ended just swapping mine out. I recommend doing an exchange

Liam2349

I pray this is just a manufacturing defect - I'll be sure to check mine for this, so thanks for the tip.

It's a shame we don't have Microsoft stores in England because it would be much simpler for stuff like this.

ipaq_101

Playing games or using photoshop wouldn't cause a ring to appear in glass, glass needs to be heated up to 450C to even begin melting.

Most likely it's a bad batch of SP3s, we have seen quality control issues on these units before, go to the store and have it swapped out and I would do the spray test at the store to make sure you get a good unit.