What's new

Surface Pro 3 Heat

Tim_Johans

Hi All,

I have purchased a surface Pro 3, 256GB i5 and have noticed that under load, the device gets very hot (in the high 70's degrees Celsius). This then means that the back of the device gets fairly warm.

Have there been any issues with the device case warping/bending at all due to temperatures? What have been your experiences?

Cheers,

Tim

mahdi75

I have a 256/i5 Surface Pro 3, and in under load, the device gets very hot. Just like yours.

However, nothing bad happened to my SP3 yet due to temprature.

Actually, I think the throttling is happening in order to protect SP3 from damage.

msolok

The back getting hot is part of the passive cooling design of the device. The back helps the device shed heat while it is under load, which means smaller, quieter fan could be used. It is nothing to worry about.

daniielrp

Hi All,

Have there been any issues with the device case warping/bending at all due to temperatures? What have been your experiences?

I'm pretty certain the temperature would have to be in the high hundreds before the SP3 casing becomes malleable enough to bend or warp. The SP3 will cut off waaaaaayyyy before it ever reached any dangerous temps.

RémiM

The most stupid rumor is back.

Yep, be very careful, your SP3 can take the shape of a snail's shell.

Does the engine (working at 400-500°C) of your car, which is mostly made of aluminum alloy, bends or warps ? Nope. Then you have your answer.

By the way, welcome aboard and enjoy your device ;)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The most stupid rumor is back.

Yep, be very careful, your SP3 can take the shape of a snail's shell.

Does the engine (working at 400-500°C) of your car, which is mostly made of aluminum alloy, bends or warps ? Nope. Then you have your answer.

By the way, welcome aboard and enjoy your device ;)
It was the special edition Chocolate version that had the warping problems. :D

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
70+ Degrees Centigrade is perfectly within the designed Specs of the SP3, we typically see throttling at 90 and seems to continue until around 80....

OP
Tim_Johans

Tim_Johans

Thats what I thought - has anyone had issues with bending or warping? I have seen some posts on here that seem to show this (and was blamed on heat) although I find it hard to believe that the CPU could do this.

Haldi

roughly 15 Minutes of Prime95 Benchmark.
5ia3ixT.png

rZFW3wy.png

CPU max 90°
CPU normal 75-80°C
Case Max (meassured with IR Thermometer!) 45°C at the hottest point.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The lowest possible melting point of a eutectic magnesium alloy is 342c or 648f.
The melting point of an alloy of two or more metals depends on the relative proportions of the ingredients. An eutectic mixture is the mixture at such proportions that the melting point is as low as possible.

I figure your at least a couple hundred degrees short.