What's new

Solved surface pro 3 i5 overheating ,please find a solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is it actually overheating as in shutting down through heat or just spinning up the fan and getting warm?

rustybit

Hi, wow that was quick, most times the fan is running full bore and it is too hot to hold, or have on my lap due to the heat in the upper right quadrant. If I use it for extended periods, plugged in as the battery life is low, it will totally lockup and occasionally BSOD, or shutdown and restart. I am running W10 with all updates installed.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok that does sound serious. My i7 sometimes gets hot but usually only when downloading updates/ doing processor intensive work and it has never shut down through heat.

Can you look in the task manager and see what's running when it starts to get hot? What services/programs are active and using the processor?

Have you tried refreshing the device?

There are some programs that cause these to get hot - I found running Bitdefender antivirus (which is supposed to be resource friendly!) did it to my SP3 when it was new so I uninstalled it a year ago. Never got to the point of actually shutting down though.

rustybit

As I said this is my third replacement, Iv'e tried just about everything over the time. This one, just with Windows 10 running and no other progs installed, started to overheat after 2.5 hrs. Microsoft will replace it again, but why bother, they all seem the same, and here in OZ we have to mail it back to Microsoft and wait for them to mail one back, usually takes 7-10 days.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well they are not all the same as there's plenty of people here with i5s without overheating problems. Its difficult for anyone to help without information about what programs are running and what your configuration is.
Its likely it was downloading updates which was why it was getting hot so early on with the new one, but getting hot and overheating are not the same thing.

rustybit

Point taken, mine is an i5 256B with type cover, as for programs and configuration I ran it completely bare with W10 only, not even AV for the first few days as I wanted to test and make sure that it was the SP3 and not any programs that I installed. I set the screen to 25% and that was the only setup changed.
My experience with the SP3 and Microsoft has left me very cynical. BTW my keyboard intermittently stops working along with the pen having a mind of it's own, apart from that and the heat issues, I almost love it.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are you using the Sp3 or SP4 pen? Mine has always worked without issue so I haven't got an answer for you except to make sure you have the correct drivers installed I manually update to the Sp4 drivers after getting the SP4 pen, although the pen worked fine it enabled the Surface App config options once i updated to SP4 drivers. Also don't use pen input calibration (where you touch corners etc to calibrate the display) for the Surface pen as it just makes things worse.

As for heat I'm still unsure whether in your newest device you're actually getting overheating or just fan activity when there's also program activity. Next time it starts getting hot can you take note of what's going on in the Task manager so we can see what may be causing it.

Also running powercfg sleepstudy from an admin command prompt can show what programs use the most resources (i.e. prevent sleep)

Also from command prompt sfc scannow can help diagnose driver issues etc. It helped me with one issue on my SP3.

Use the SFC /Scannow Command to Repair Windows Files

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Exactly, you must look at Task Manager and or Resource Monitor to find out what is using CPU, Network, Disk to drive up the heat. Otherwise the conversation is pointless (Trouble Symptom Fix) marshmallows which has already proven ineffective. Get specific.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.