What's new

Surface Pro 3 is not charging when plugged in

Charlie Lo

Does anyone know how to resolve charging issue? I plugged in the power nothing. I set it on the docking station, nothing. There the led charging light do not lit up. I put in another surface pro 3 and it works fine. So the problem is with this particular surface pro 3 and not the power cord or dock. Any suggestion is much appreciated.

talon90

I had a recent issue that was resolved by replacing the charger. My indication of a problem was that the LED on the power cord was not illuminating. I was able to resolve my issue by replacing the charger. It doesn't appear that this is your issue but during the course of my search I found a couple of things online that I referenced. This first is this Microsoft support document:

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/hardware-and-drivers/surface-battery-wont-charge

The next was to uninstall the battery driver line in the device manager. Open your device manager and open the battery line. Click on the ACPI compliant control method battery line, right click and uninstall. Restarting your Surface will prompt Windows to detect the battery and reinstall the drivers necessary.

If none of these tips help you may need to have it looked at by Microsoft.

kundas1

also make sure your charging slots are cleaned and free of any metallic debris as they tend to attract stuff there due to the magnets...

OP
C

Charlie Lo

I just received this Surface pro 3 yesterday. When I press the power, it shows that the battery is low but when plugged in, it's not charging.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@Charlie Lo, Do you know anybody with a Surface Pro 3 docking station, or could you get access to one in a shop somewhere?

By using a docking station, you may check to see if the charging circuitry is dead between the multi-connector and the battery, or just between the charging adapter cable and the battery. The docking station only uses the multi-connector.

OP
C

Charlie Lo

Again, if I put in a different Surface Pro 3 device in either the docking station or the power cord, it all works except this particular SP3 that I just received.

talon90

Again, if I put in a different Surface Pro 3 device in either the docking station or the power cord, it all works except this particular SP3 that I just received.

If you have tried all of the steps in the Microsoft document and attempted to delete the battery drivers and nothing has worked then I would agree that it is time for an exchange of the device.

bmack

I am have this same exact issue with my surface pro 3. At first it was only when I put it in the docking station now, Its happening all the time. But mine seems to mostly only stop charging when the CPU exceeds 40% load. I've tried everything and even contacted MS who felt it may have been something with windows 10. So I reinstalled Windows 8.1 with a complete clean install. The issue still exists and is making the battery degrade at a fast pace.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member

Yes, sorry, I missed that you DID try a docking station.
So, your unit is most certainly defective. :(

drolem

There are several possible causes:
a) the battery is hot -- if the battery is over a certain temperature, it will not get charged. It should be fairly easy to check for this condition
b) the charger is defective -- possible, though not very likely
c) the SP3 can't talk to the charger
d) FW bug
e) a blown component on the mobo

First, try a different charger. If that doesn't help, do a hard reset: first with, and then without a charger plugged in.