What's new

Surface Pro 3 is not charging when plugged in

mtalinm

there is something to this. I was getting the plugged-in-not-charging message in the dock while the fan was blowing. shut down xbox music and a minute or two later it went back to plugged-in-charging.

odd

Ryuuji

I also have this problem sometimes, and also get the plugged in not charging message in the taskbar/when hovering over the battery Icon. Mostly I detach the charger and wait a little, than attach it again, If this doesn't work I reboot it. Funny thig is, that this is happening while it is charging. Like I plug it in and it charges, I go away and come an hour later back and suddenly it's not charging anymore.

bmack

I've found that anytime the cpu gets under a load over 34% I believe it was. The surface will stop charging.

Chris Grew

My original power supply would indicate that it was plugged in, but say not charging.

I would unplug and plug it back in and all was fine.

However, eventually it gave up. So I took the supply back to the shop - John Lewis UK - they confirmed and gave me another power supply, which has been working ever since. Occasionally giving the same 'not charging' message. Unplug and plug back in and all is fine.

Regards

Chris

Chris Grew

Good morning everyone,

Here we are 4 months later.

In this time, I have had to replace my power supply again.

This morning I plugged my fitbit into the power supply USB port to charge it and it has failed again. I wonder if the USB port on the power supply, is just not that good.

The power supply has been unplugged for an hour and it still doesn't work!

So, I will have to head back to John Lewis in Swindon - again - and get another power supply!

Not very clever and a total time waster.

Regards

Chris

Chris Grew

Back from John Lewis, with yet another new power supply.

I think I will refrain from using the USB port on the power supply in future!

Regards

Chris

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Back from John Lewis, with yet another new power supply.

I think I will refrain from using the USB port on the power supply in future!

Regards

Chris
Perhaps a wise move as repeating the same thing over and over expecting different results is like a Sisyphean Endeavor (or that other thing). :)