What's new

Surface Pro 3 launched - 12" tablet, 9mm thick, 2160x1440

kozak79

OK, found the full specs:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/download/presskits/surface/docs/Surface3ProFS.docx

It still uses the HD4400 chip and same i5 processor as before, only the i7 is faster. So it's basically slower at the same price point as running a 2160x1440 resolution on the same exact HD 4400 compared to the 1920x1080 screen of the SP2. I guess i'm waiting for the SP4.

Also the N-Trig Pen Digitizer only supports 256 levels of pressure. The Wacom Digitizer in the SP2 supports 1024 levels of pressure, while the Wacom Cintiq Companion supports 2048 levels of pressure. It might seem trivial, but for Artists this face in the SP3 is a deal breaker :(

Ruffles

Very excited for this. Unfortunately, the finish on my Pro 2, while babied, has not held up well which will affect my resale value. I'll have to wait and see what kind of battery life people report getting. I like the natural finish (maybe it will last longer).

girarcat

Microsoft, go kiss my butt!! Bought a 1000€ device 4 months ago and now it's already out of date?!?
They should have tried to fix all the bugs on SP2 before releasing a new model...

Last edited by a moderator:
It still uses the HD4400 chip and same i5 processor as before, only the i7 is faster. So it's basically slower at the same price point as running a 2160x1440 resolution on the same exact HD 4400 compared to the 1920x1080 screen of the SP2. I guess i'm waiting for the SP4.
That's clearly copy-paste error, they just reused the SFPro2 specs.

I do however think that they've compromised on _something_. They've enlarged the screen and reduced the weight. Savings can't come from processor (identical as last year's), or from battery (because SFPro's one had already one of the highest densities).

My guess is that the i3 model is the one with 10% more battery than the SFPro2, and the i7 model the one with 10% more performance than the SFPro2, and the other ones are just the same or slightly worse than SFPro2 equivalents.

mohcho

Microsoft, go kiss my butt!! Bought a 1000€ device 4 months ago and now it's already out of date?!?
They should have tried to fix all the bugs on SP2 before releasing a new model...

I bought the SP2 less than a month ago. Going to see if I can return it before the 30 days is up.

gman713

Will magazine and comic reading be better on the SP3? Is the size of this one still smaller than the MBA 13"? I can't tell with the bezel around it.

godson594

I'm sure it will be refreshed in time for the holiday season... I'm a little leery to jump into anything right away with Microsoft Surface with all the problems I have had... I do wish I had a bigger screen tho

Ruffles

The Surface team just replied to my question about a pen silo..."There will be a pen loop which is included with the purchase of a Surface Pro Type cover or for $4.99". Lame. I can't believe making it big enough for the 12" screen and they couldn't find a place for the pen.